Compact SLR (NON-digital)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old August 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Trustee

Compact SLR (NON-digital)?

...not sure this should be here...

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an old Compact SLR (NON-digital) for me to take to my trips. I've seen some leicas for around 300us$ ob ebay that looked very tempting. I want something really small but that can also allow me to use different lenses. Any thoughts?

thanks,

Rafa
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The Voigtlanders are similar to Leicas but a whole lot cheaper.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #3
Major Player

I would look at the older Nikon/Canon film cameras. You can usually 'reuse' those lenses with your future DSLR. Don't think you can do that with a Leica.

The Nikon 6006/8008 are bargains and you'll have money left over for some good lenses.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from A51 to Still Crazy.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, fellas. I will check into the Voigtlanders
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Rafael, I didn't see that you said SLRs, the Voigtlanders are compact rangefinders like the classic Leicas.
Good thing about film SLRs is that no-one wants them so they're dirt cheap. I had a Nikon F5 that was superb, and have had Canon F-1 and Nikon F3 which are also great but getting a bit old now.
Steve
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #7
Trustee

Initially the leica and rollei REALLY got me excited, but then I sat down and thought that I'll be taking these cameras to my trips and I need to be able to take photos fast...older cameras do not have autofocus....inspite their amazing glass and ultra cool retro look.

After doing some browsing I think I may just end up with a compact film point and shoot. What I really miss is films' latitude and being able to take pictures with slide film and revealing it as regular film. What do you think? Any suggestions? Oh, I MUST have a good wide angle.
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I love film too, and resisted the digital revolution for ages, but really there is no comparison, digital wins on alomst every front, in every range from lowly compact to top pro cameras - until you get upto 5x4"+ view cameras and the like where the lens movements and neg size start to win out, but not many folks will carry one of them around!
Really, shoot some test shots with a Nikon D50 or something and print to 12x10 and you'll be blown away. Plus you can correct errors in Photoshop, view your shots immediately to make sure all is OK, the list is endless (much though I hate to admit it!)
Steve
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #9
Trustee

Man, I own a Nikon D40 and a Panasonic TZ4 and I simply don't see it yet. God knows I'm the biggest supported of digital ANYTHING around but I don't see it yet. Besides, it's bad enough it's so expensive to make films with celuloid :)
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Inner Circle

What do you not see? There are virtually no pros anywhere in any field still using 35mm stills AFAIK. I hated to admit it but the argument with even something like a D40 is not whether it's superior to 35mm film but whether it's superior to 6x7 medium format and maybe beyond. Give in - we all have to eventually!
Steve
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #11
Trustee

Now say "Give in to the dark side...It...is your...destiny!" ;-)
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I have a Nikon F75 film camera that I've been considering selling that treated me amazingly well while I was still using film. One of the smallest bodies Nikon ever made in an SLR. I'd suggest you look into the F75 (I think it may be the N75 outside of North America) if compact and quality in 35mm film are your criteria.
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #13
Go Go Godzilla

Check out:

KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More.

They're the largest source of all types of used cameras both film and digital.

They have an amazing selection of older, manual and autofocus film cameras from every manufacturer. Take your pick and enjoy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy