DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   NEW Digital Rebel announced. US price . . . (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/13537-new-digital-rebel-announced-us-price.html)

Jeff Donald August 20th, 2003 02:25 PM

NEW Digital Rebel announced. US price . . .

Canon has announce that the new Digital Rebel will be available next month. US price is said to be under $900. A new line of lenses (read more economical), ES lenses, will also start shipping soon.

Alex Knappenberger August 20th, 2003 02:38 PM

Under $900 for a DSLR?!? Wow, 6.5MP too! Jeez. This is what i've been waiting for here. :D

Now I just need a job so I can buy this puppy!

Is there a magnification factor on the lenses? I'm doubting the censor is full 35mm size, right?

Dylan Couper August 20th, 2003 02:55 PM

Hmm...
Looks like this will be a better buy than a used D30 (same price range), right?

Jeff Donald August 20th, 2003 03:27 PM

D-30 will have to drop in price. This is basically a 10D, in a little different outer plastic. It probably doesn't have a metal inner frame, either. It looks to be the same CMOS chip, AF, AE but a few less features (no 3200 ISO/ASA, fewer RAW/JPEG options). It also has it's own EF-S lens. This is so users can cover a normal zoom range without purchasing the $700 17-40mm EF lens.

I expect D-30's to drop several hundred dollars below the Digital Rebel. It might also mean that the 10D would drop a few hundred.

Dylan Couper August 20th, 2003 03:56 PM

Wow, I'm glad I didn't buy a D30 yet!!!

It says it has an EF mount, and takes EF and EF-S lenses, so a user wouldn't be limited to only the EF-S glass, correct?

Too bad it isn't black.

Matt Betea August 20th, 2003 06:11 PM

What I'm not understanding is, the EF-S lenses. The DRebel has the same sized sensor and EF mount. But from what I've read on sites the EF-S lens(es) are only compatable with the DRebel? I was hearing these lenses aren't the best build quality and that it's a line for consumers so, like Jeff said they don't have to pay several hundred dollars on one lens. But I don't know, I guess I'll wait to say anything until it's reviewed or seen. As I've heard people are saying the EF-S is Canon's answer to the DX lenses, ah gotta love the internet!

Jeff Donald August 20th, 2003 08:11 PM

Pure speculation here, put I think the price point of the EF-S lens (lenses?) will be fairly modest. The looks of the lens is rather plasticy. I suspect the optical and build quality will be mediocre.

Nikon, however, is striving for a better quality in their DX lenses. Two different marketing approaches, I suspect.

Matt Betea August 20th, 2003 09:25 PM

True, that makes more sense. I would have thought if Canon was going to off some type of DX lens, they would make the lens compatible with their other 1.6x camera(s). Then again I was reading some of the stuff from a rabid "fanboy" forum, so I should've known better. <g> Thanks for clarification.

matt

Imran Zaidi August 20th, 2003 09:25 PM

I have a Canon Rebel 2000 35mm camera. In theory, I should be able to use the lenses I have on the body of this new digital Rebel?

Hmmm... it says any Canon EF lens should work.

Wow! Jeff, thanks for sharing this news. This is the most excited I've been about a new product since the GL2 came out. And I ended up getting one.

Adrian Douglas August 21st, 2003 10:02 AM

Here's a first look at the EOS300D (Digital Rebel) on Photo.net

Bill Ravens August 21st, 2003 12:41 PM

plastic is the name of the game for this camera. if anyone out there has ever put a canon zoom lens on their slr, they know how much torque that puppy puts on the camera body/lens mount. I suggest that one reason canon is providing ersatz lenses for this 300D is because it can't take the weight of their "L" lenses.

Adrian Douglas August 21st, 2003 07:47 PM

This camera isn't really aimed at users of L lenses, it's a cam for the consumer that want a little more than the S or G series compact digitals offer but don't want the size or expense of the more "pro" 10D. The EF-S lens is designed particularly for the 1.6x conversion factor as well providing an inexpensive lens to keep the cost of the package down. A digital SLR and lens for a street price of under a grand, should be quite popular.

Dylan Couper October 1st, 2003 03:24 PM

Does anyone know if there is a movie mode on this camera?
I read a large review of it on Steve's Digi-cams, and it didn't say anything about it.

Apparently Canon plans to produce and sell 70,000 of these, per month, and the EF-S lens is only available with purchase of the camera kit.

Still waiting to sell my Elan 7 so I can buy one. Anyone here have one yet?

Jeff Donald October 1st, 2003 03:49 PM

It does not have a movie feature.

Alex Ratson October 1st, 2003 03:53 PM

From what I have herd about this new camera is that it is not built to sturdy and is missing some of the custom settings of its prosummer sibling the 10D. In conclusion I would not recommend this camera unless the user only wanted the feeling of a bigger body with a G3 feature set along with the added bonus of interchangeable lenses. If you are serious about photography its probably a better investment to buy a 10D or even better (in my opinion) a Nikon D100.

Happy Shooting
Alex