slr question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old September 6th, 2003, 08:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

slr question

hi folks,

just curious, when (in what situation) do we set the shutter speed to 4 sec on a SLR camera?
Old September 6th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #2
Outer Circle

When the SLR is on a tripod, and you set the timer or use a shutter trigger---and of course, when the light is low requiring a 1/4 sec shutter speed. I've had the shutter opened as long as 30 seconds for some night shots (gotta use a light meter though).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you want to shoot light trails from car lights and such a long exposure is required to cause the light to streak. 4 to 15 seconds seems to work best. For star trails you need to have exposures as long as 5 hours.
Last night I was shooting Tugboats with their lights on and the exposure was 25 minutes at F8 on Fuji Velvia 50. This was my longest exposure I have tried on my Nikon F80.

Happy Shooting
Alex
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy