How to dismantle a 35mm lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old March 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Wrangler

How to dismantle a 35mm lens

I have a 35-70mm f2.8 lens (all manual, old-school) lens that has some oil on the inside of one of the front elements.

Being an industrious little beaver, I set at it with my Leatherman and got about half way in before I got stuck. Ran out of things to take apart and couldn't figure how to seperate the "zoom" from the main body.

Anyway, does anyone know any links that show how to take a zoom lens apart? I found lots of photos of dismantled lenses, but no real instructions.

I've put it back together for now, but if I can't find any info, I'll give up and take it into a camera shop for a cleaning.
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

I doubt you'd find detailed info on that subject anywhere on the 'net. Those in the know are highly skilled camera repair techs and considering how few of them are actually in existence today would be virtual suicide for their careers.

Aside from the manufacturer itself the best camera/lens repair person I've ever met is here:

Camera Repair at Tempe Camera

Ask for Joe, he's the owner and uber-master tech.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #3
Tourist

What manufacturer? Is the front element/ lens group set in place with a screw set retaining ring, a spanner ring or a pressure actuated ring? Most times you have to get the front lens group out before the focus/ zoom assembly can be taken down further.

I just had a Minolta AF 35-70 with oil on the aperture blades. Had some fun taking it all apart and cleaning it up. Setting the focal point for the front element in the helical can be a bear after it comes apart- if it's not just right, your distance marking will not line up properly for range focusing.

Have fun!

-Michael
Michael Arruda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy