if there could be only one... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old October 21st, 2003, 11:04 PM   #16
Outer Circle

Yes, I agree about the 50mm lens. It's the best all-around lens I think. I wouldn't bother with a F1.4, though. F1.8, F2; that's pretty fast, plus it gives you a good shallow DOF, if that's what you want. For most of my shooting, I use a 100mm and a 135mm. The 135mm is more useful outdoors for people and animals I find. But I do miss not haveing a wide, like a 28mm. 1 lens? Yup. The 50mm. Doesn't Canon make a good one?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #17
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : I guess I sort of misread this thread. The deserted island thing and all. If I could only have one lens (do they have birds on this island?) it would be the Canon 300mm F2.8 or 600mm F4. If there are no birds a good wide angle zoom like the 16-35mm. -->>>

Lusting after that 600mm F4 too are ya?! :)

Ah, what happiness $7,199 would buy @ B&H eh Jeff?

Jacques"has the 16-35mm"Mersereau
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #18
Outer Circle

Some people like zooms, I never did. If it had to be 1, I'd go with a 50mm.

If I decided to go with 2, it would be a 28mm and a 100mm (or there abouts).

3? I'd include the 50mm in-between.

Okay, back on topic. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

If I could only have one lens it would be my prized Nikkor AF 20mm f/2.8. My second choice would be a 85mm f/1.8.

Happy Shooting
Alex
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #20
Trustee

There are actually 4 Canon 50mm EF lenses:

50/f1.0 (recently discontinued), this was a heavy and slow focusing lens but it's massive f1.0 aperture and L series glass made it quite useful for portrait, product, or still life work.

50/f1.4, this is the one I have and it's a great lens. Not as big and heavy as the f1.0 faster focusing and sharp as a tack. This is the lens Canon recommends as the standard lens for their EOS film bodies. It's large aperture makes throwing the background out of focus easy. I use this lens as my primary lens.

50/f1.8 I & II, these are both great value for money lenses. They are both sharp and focus quickly, the II is a little quicker aparently. To keep the costs down Canon used a palstic mount instead of plated brass. The build quality of the I was a little suss so as Jeff suggested look for a II. For the cost it's a great little lens that will give you good results and it's wide aperture means it's good to keep for when you need to shoot in low light.

50/2.5 Macro, I've never used this lens but have heard that it's not a bad lens. However, for macro work I would use the 100/f2.8.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2003, 12:40 AM   #21
Outer Circle

Alex, the 85mm would fit in with "a 100mm (or there abouts)." The 105mm, Gauss type, is another good one from Nikkor/Nikon. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy