DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Non-digital SLR film question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/16883-non-digital-slr-film-question.html)

Frank Granovski November 9th, 2003 06:18 PM

Non-digital SLR film question

What should set the film speed at with Iford Delta 400 B&W film for using these:

1) UV filter
2) Orange filter

400 ASA? Or less? Somewhere in-between 400 and 200? Will it make a difference if I use a flash opposed to sunlight?

Using a manual camera.

Jeff Donald November 9th, 2003 07:27 PM

The use of a good multi-coated UV filter will not effect the exposure. Uncoated or single coated filters may reduce exposure 1/2 to 1/3 stop. However, this would be compensated for in the through the lens (TTL) metering.

Depending on the orange filter you use, a reduction of 1/2 to 2 stops of exposure may be encountered. But again, TTL metering would provide the necessary compensation.

Electronic flash should have little effect on exposure (assuming TTL flash). If you're using manual flash then additional exposure compensation will be required using the above factors. Tungsten lighting would reduce the filter factor.

Most flash tubes are coated to prevent or reduce UV. UV filters generally have little effect on flash exposure.

Frank Granovski November 9th, 2003 07:42 PM

Thanks Jeff. I was curious of the accuracy of the Ilford Delta 400 ASA film rating. My developer suggests to back off 1/2 a stop. I don't know if the cam's slightly out of whack or the film.

Jeff Donald November 9th, 2003 08:02 PM

You got some odd results or poor exposures?

Zac Stein November 9th, 2003 11:23 PM

I tend to run delta 400 at 3200 with an orange filter. I get fantastic results... a little grainy but that is what film is for :)

Razor sharp as well.

I guess i do this because i hate flashes... i love strong contrast bloomed highlights and detail in every little crevice.

Anyways

Zac

ps. Frank ilford delta 400 tends to run best at 320iso then just use your meter. Well that is what i found when using it at school.

As always, experiment

Frank Granovski November 10th, 2003 01:50 AM

Quote:

You got some odd results or poor exposures?
Some of my pics are too dark, while others are a tad too white. But then again, my built in light meter consists of 3 lights---I much prefer the needle type meter. Nope, I don't own a light meter at this time---"delta 400 tends to run best at 320iso." That's what I heard too. I just did some flash stuff this evening, I'm more concerned about the outdoor stuff. I'll give it a try in the next day or 2 (experiment). Thanks!

By the way, I've been using Delta 100 for flashwork for years with very good results, and Delta 3200, backed off 2 stops (800 ASA) with natural lighting (with good results). It's just that this 400 ASA has given me mixed results over the years.