Have to rave about my new "Delsey" bag at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old November 13th, 2003, 02:43 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Have to rave about my new "Delsey" bag

I've been going back and forth about which bag to get for every day use--something I can use to carry my 10D, flash, an extra lens or two, filters, etc. PLUS business cards, releases, a pen, full-size documents, brochures, etc.

The Nature Trekker AW II is just too big to lug around daily and on subways, etc. The MiniTrekker II is too small, and it doesn't have much of an organizer for business cards, pens, releases, etc. plus there's no room for documents. The Stealth is just poorly designed. And other brands like Tamrac, etc. just don't cut it compared to LowePro IMHO.

Furthermore...this is a small detail...all the LowePro bags tend to have more of an "outdoor" style which isn't necessarily the best image when walking into a corporate office where a more "urban" style would be appropriate. (Stealth's style is fine, it's just poorly designed for practical use).

I was about to give up on finding the perfect solution and settle for the Nature Trekker AW II when I stumbled across a bag brand I'd never heard of before, Delsey. I just bought the "Pro" model and it's got every feature I wanted and more. You can see the model I bought by clicking here.

It has all the features and quality you'd expect from LowePro, including the rain cover, great suspension, etc...PLUS it...
  • has a great organizer area, compartments for everything...batteries, filters, even "P" size Cokin filters, etc.
  • has a thin compartment for a laptop with a padded sleeve that can also hold full letter/brochure size documents
  • comes with two padlocks and a great tripod stirrup that simply locks into a rubber clip on the side
  • has a sleeve allowing you to stowaway the waist belt...great for when you plan on carrying it most the time on one shoulder
I could go on and on. This is really a great bag. Check it out if you get a chance.

P.S. I'm not slamming LowePro overall...they make great bags. They just haven't really perfected a model for urban use.
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #2
Warden

They are very nice looking bags. I haven't paid much attention to them in the past, but I will definetly consider them for my next purchase.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The Delsey is definitely nice looking, but being an amateur, I don't have to worry about the "urban" look of the Lowepro. I just got the MiniTrekker AW. Since I always carry my 10D with the 28-135 on a shoulder strap, I find I can fit quite a bit into the MiniTrekker :)

http://homepage.mac.com/messnerk/MiniTrekker.jpg
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #4

Like I said, Kirk...I'm not knocking the LowePro line.

The MiniTrekker is good if you're carrying only your camera and camera gear... its downfall, in my opinion is that there isn't one A4 or US Letter sized compartment for you to carry documents in a safe, uncrumpling way. For a bag that will be carried constantly, this is a must. Also, the "organizer" area just doesn't cut it for daily use.

Boils down to whether you need it for business or shooting...and here, either way, you have to have your subway maps with you all the time, plus cell phone, pens, business cards, PDA, etc.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 11:00 AM   #5
Trustee

John,

We spend so much cash on equipment I like to hear how others protect it and carry it. Thanks for the input on the Delsey. I want to know when one of us has a product to rave about. I agree with what you said about “style”. For me, it is not just about style (I am not a stylish guy), it is about representing myself professionally.

My Lowe Pro AW is the ultimate photo backpack, big, well made, and functional. A true backpack made into a well-designed photo bag. Worth every dollar. I shoot a lot of sports and it is perfect for that.

I also do a lot of corporate work at some very nice resorts. Walking into a ballroom in a suit and tie at a five star resort wearing a 50 lb. “backpack” is not the best way to represent myself when meeting a new client.

I will look into the Delsey rolling cases. I was glad to see they are integrating laptop space into their photo bags, it is about time this was made a priority in photo bags.

You also made a point about some manufacturers do some things well but not all, so true.

I am a big fan of Porta-Brace products. Their backpacks are little more than a bag with shoulder straps, not even in the same league as a Lowe. But I must rave about the engineers’ bag (a brief case style bag) they make. It suits my needs and is very well designed, like most of their products. It has all of the little pockets and spaces we need for business items (not lap top, some other models do) and accessories. Plus it will hold my ENG mic kit, VariZoom monitor, headphones and other little stuff that wont go in my Porta-Brace XL1 traveler bag. I love it.

I am considering the Porta-Brace vest, hey, like I said, I’m not sylish. Can anyone provide input?

I am also looking into the belt type systems with individual pouches for lenses and other junk. Maybe there is hope yet that I will not resort to wearing a vest. Anyone have a system they like?

Steve
Old November 28th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #6
Machinist Mate

John, that Delsey looks like quite the rig...the specs say it even has room for a notebook computer! And imported by Bogen, no wonder that's a Bogen 'pod hanging off the side. :-) A familiar name to me for sure.

I guess they are more formal over there in Japan...where I come from, the suits don't really associate with us lens jocks and Mac ops. "Don't feed or pet the creatives!" :-)

And while it is conceivable to be somwhat discreet toting still gear (they even allowed me on the floor of the NYSE with my rolling cam bag), when I have a video shoot going it's a whole other world. When I start shlepping in with my piles of Porta Brace bags, there's little chance of mistaking me for some lawyer or accountant with just a few contracts or speadsheets in his "brief" case.
Old November 28th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #7

Mike and Steve,

As Steve says, it's more about looking "professional" than a matter of "style." If I could get away with it, I'd be casual all the time. I'm originally from Texas, so believe me, I'm more a jeans and moleskin shirt kind of guy. ;)

This bag would be great for anyone since it's simply a well thought out and well-made product. It's sleek, black design, however, also adds to the appeal for people who live in some of the biggest cities in the world...especially here in Asia...where life is more formal/conservative and where a casual look tends to close doors rather than open them.

I believe in being comfortable when you know you're facing a day of shooting, so on a recent all-day video shoot I wore jeans, some old hiking boots, and a very worn moleskin shirt (not TOO worn, though...it looked like the "aged" clothes that you buy). It was funny to me that it was the one American actor in the project who brought up my appearance. He said something along the lines of "You going camping after the shoot?"

So since appearances tend to matter here more than many places, and since I have to wear suits most of the time anyway, it's good to have one bag that I can carry in all situations and get away with it.

But the bottom line is...I bought it because it's a great bag...the professional-looking style is a bonus.

P.S. Did I forget to mention the notebook pocket with padded sleeve?! Big omission on my part. Thanks for mentioning it, Mike.

P.S.S. Steve, I've also avoided using the photo vest just because I think they tend to get in the way. So, when I can get away with a casual look, I just wear safari-style shirts and cargo pants and become a walking photo bag.
Old November 28th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #8
Trustee

This is finally getting good.

John
I too wear jeans whenever I can possibly get away with it. Moleskin,,,,, I think there is some in my closet I haven’t worn since I was watching the Dukes of Hazard. I was certain Daisy knew I was digging on her and the moleskin was just what she wanted. Is it available now with cargo pockets? Cargo pants only work for the light stuff, I’m thin and I shudder at the thought of too much weight in the pockets exposing my clients to “shooters crack”, not a pretty sight! Your suggestion of becoming a walking camera bag does appeal to me, though. Maybe I’ll buy a tighter belt and quit wearing leather G-strings just in case I put too much stuff in the pockets.

Mike
As video professionals we can get away with being casual, even when rolling our carts onto the floor of the NYSE. Come on man, admit it, I know you must have a moleskin tie you look forward to wearing every time you can convince your other crew members the client said you HAD to wear a tie.

OK, on a real note, the most recent case of shooters casualness going to far was at a recent Alan Jackson concert (hey, my tickets were free). There was 2 cam ops on the stage the entire show for i-mag. Their “show blacks” consisted of black tee-shirts with big graphics on them, tan or light colored shorts and one of them was wearing white tennis shoes. Sorry man, I don’t care if it is one-hundred-fifty degrees under those lights, a camera op should have his work be seen and he should be as invisible as possible, especially when the director decides 2 of them should be on the stage. Their presence was very distracting. Cargo pants come in black, I have a pair. John, you know where I can get a black safari shirt in moleskin?

Steve
Old November 28th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #9

Weeell...it's not a cargo-type, but the best shirt in the world, hands down, comes from down under. It's the Sherman tank of shirts...I'm thinking of just permanently attaching it to my Glidecam vest. But for big pockets, check out the Alaskan Guide shirt.

You know...there's one advantage to shooter's crack...one more place to put something. The leather G-string then becomes practical since it prevents slippage.
Old November 28th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #10
Trustee

I knew you had a sense of humor and figured I could get away with a little fun but your response has me roaring. Your also smarter than I am, I never considered using the crack for a mic holder or something. I’m into climbing so maybe I’ll keep a spare carabineer on the g-string for an emergency harness.

My wife heard me laugh so loud she made me explain what was so funny. She did not get it, she looked at me and said, “why did you lie? Three of the new shirts in your closet are moleskin”.

Steve
Old November 30th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #11
Machinist Mate

LOL! Just say no to crack!!!!

Moleskin gets me too sweaty unless I am shooting in Vermont! Speaking of heat, Palm Springs in mid-September was a toasty 100-115 during the day. Run-n-gun took on a whole new meaning...get the shot and dash indoors before your camera melts. In that venue I eschewed my default black-on-black look for a while. But I do agree you want to avoid having your i-mag ops clad in white or light colors. You bet they make black cargoes, I have a closet full of black pants of every type, even shorts!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy