G5 or Digital Rebel??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 31st, 2004, 04:45 PM   #1
New Boot

G5 or Digital Rebel???

Ive had a Canon G1 for years, and it just broke on me for the third time. Rather than spen ding $150 to fix it AGAIN, i was thinking of getting a new camera. I want to stick with Canon, as ive had three digital cameras from them, and they've never let me down. iThe problem im having is choosing between the G5 and the Digital Rebel($900 with Lens). Now, im no stranger to film and SLR's (I have a darkroom in my basement), but im also no professional (im fresh out of highschool). In your opinion should I go for the G5 ($500), or just spring for the digital rebel? Also, do you think it wuld be wise to write a letter to Canon, showing my distaste for the 'ruggedness' of their products? Perhaps (because ive been a "loyal customer" they would give me some sort of rebate or deal? Anyway, 'i'Im not going to be using this for point and shoot type applications....lots of fiddling will be done. Any insight will be appreciated.

Chris

Gear;
DCR-VX2000
Azden SGM 1x
Broken Canon G1
Chris Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 04:54 PM   #2
Warden

What did you like to shoot with the G1 and what do you see yourself shooting with the Digital Rebel.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Wrangler

If you don't need a smaller camera (the G5), I'd get the Digital Rebel. I've tested both of them, and found the Rebel much easier to use ergonomicaly than the G5. Plus there's the whole extra lens thing....
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:05 PM   #4
New Boot

When my G1 was working, I did a lot of outdoor shots, macros, and LOTS of long exposure night shots. Size isn't really an issue as I'm looking for quality of images, im ready for the trade off. The only problem I have is justifying the $400 more for the rebel. Also, my problem with the changeable lenses is that they are so damn expensive. Im a college student with little money, so after buying the camera and lens, I wouldn't be able to get anything else..no accesories, nothing. Id still have extra cash if I got the G5.....Does ritz camera sell the Digital Rebel? If so perhaps ill go try it out. Thanks.

Chris
Chris Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:16 PM   #5
Warden

Yes, Ritz sells Digital Rebels both on-line and in select stores. You hit the nail on the head, size and convenience and ease of use is a big issue for many people. But you say your ready, so go for it.

Buy the EOS EF lenses used, or buy the less expensive models to start. Remember, even the cheapest SLR lens in at least equal to the lens on a P & S like the G5 etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy