Video Out question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 31st, 2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Video Out question

How is the quality of the Video Out option on digital stills?
Or in other words..

Why isnīt everyone using a Digital SRL to shoot videos sending the Video OUt to a DVDeck or a cam? instead of going through the Mini35 and all that...

I have no idea how the Video Out quality, frame rate, etc.. works in a digital still cam... so if anyone can just kill any hopes before they start appearing.. please do.
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:20 PM   #2
Warden

There is no live video out of an SLR, the mirror and shutter prevent light from hitting the chip until the exposure is made.

The video out is for analog review of shots to a monitor. The quality is standard PAL or NTSC.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 05:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Ok so drop the SLRīs.

And what about non SLR?

I know that the Canon A-70 sends live video out. Of course this kind of camera will loose the interchangable lenses dream...
But they still have very good quality. 3Mpixels or something like that...
Is this quality remarkably lost on the video out? I know itīs analog, but Is it that Bad?...

I "Still" donīt have a digital still cam.. so I canīt go and do some testing, so I ask to get my answers the Theoretical way..... If you (plural) donīt mind...
Iīd sure like to be doing those test and answering myself.
Old January 31st, 2004, 06:07 PM   #4
Warden

Most of the digicams have low frame rates, on the order of 12 to 15 fps, some less.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 08:32 PM   #5
Major Player

OK... thanx...
Now 15 fps.. can work for some web stuff I might need to do.
Old January 31st, 2004, 09:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You won't be getting any megapixels through the video-out or from recording to the memory.
Benjamin Taft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2004, 09:20 PM   #7
Trustee

Even those that do PAL and NTSC are limited to 320x240 or 640x480 at the most and is usually MJPEG or even MPEG4. We're getting closer to a video camera that is also a good still camera but I don't think we will ever see a still camera that does full quality native DV. The camera manufactures would be basically cutting down their market.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy