Dylan's photo gallery is online - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old February 17th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #16
Wrangler

Thanks Steven!

What can I say, the waves were rolling in and I didn't want to get wet... :) OK, no excuses, I really just didn't think about it at the time.

Any suggestions as to which I should take down?
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #17
Trustee

Dylan,

Sugest which ones to take down, no. Even though a few are obvious to me, Charles already said it, beauty is not only in the eye of the beholder, I have learned every viewer will interpret every image a little or a lot differently. I have been shooting for fifteen years:

There has been days when I thought I was spot on and could not wait to lay the stuff down in front of the client and they thought my stuff was garbage.

There has been days when I was off and did not want to see the client and they thought the work was amazing. I’ve learned it can be that subjective.

I have learned I am a photographer, not an art director. Editors and art directors rarely pick the photos I think they are going to or the ones I wish they would. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by what they did with the shot, sometimes I am embarrassed and don’t understand why they picked one of my “poor” shots, the answer is subjectivity. As long as they are happy it is just my ego getting in the way, it all pays the same.

Your portfolio is one of the few things YOU have control over, and it is always assumed that you have cherry picked the best you can display. A potential client may pick what they think is your weakest shot and decide if that is an acceptable level of quality and creativity for them. Hence my use of the word caution.

Steve

Charles,

Congratulations on your 10D. What lenses did you get?
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #18
Trustee

Dylan,
One more thing, I have had only had 2 real careers in my life, firefighter/medic and photographer. That means if my buddy falls down and dislocates his shoulder while I am skiing with him I will have to take the shot of him writhing in pain first, and then treat him :) Did you get the shot?

Steve
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #19
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Digges : Dylan,
One more thing, I have had only had 2 real careers in my life, firefighter/medic and photographer. That means if my buddy falls down and dislocates his shoulder while I am skiing with him I will have to take the shot of him writhing in pain first, and then treat him :) Did you get the shot?

Steve -->>>

What kind of sick freak do you think I am?
OF COURSE I GOT THAT SHOT!!! :)

And here it is!

Although not really writhing in pain, he's trying to pop his shoulder back in in this picture. It didn't work.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #20
Trustee

Dylan,

I was literally sitting here writing this reply wondering if you were offended by my joke about your friend in pain when your response came in and made me laugh. If he was my friend he would be hearing a lot of jokes about taking himself out on the bunny hill too.

Post as I wrote it before you replied.

Just as imagery can be interpreted in different ways, so can a few written lines. I sometimes wonder how my input is interpreted here at DV Info. Of course, I was joking about taking a picture of someone in pain before treating him. And I should have honored your request for input instead of harping about how subjective interpretation of an image is.

So here goes a few impressions:
People, animals, objects
#4 beach photographer – snapshot, poor exposure
#15 Lexus – snapshot

Landscapes
#2 does nothing for me, probably because it is a shot almost anyone can take.
#3 same thing
#8 Clouds can be spectacular, if you IMHO are going to show a shot of them they should be spectacular, not just interesting
#10 Bent over skier at bottom takes too much away from this shot, crop it and you won’t have enough snow.
#17 powerlines & sky, I don’t like it at all
#25 lift shadow, perfect example of what I mentioned in post above. I’m sure some people think it’s cool. I hate it. But that’s the old school, anal, redneck artist that I can be. If the snow was sharp and the shadow was blurred by it’s motion I would think it was a great shot, but since the whole thing is out of focus it just looks like a mistake that someone thought came out cool, remember, always claim you do those on purpose and then they become ART.
#27 & #28 put them in your scrapbook

I wish I had the time to tell you all that I see that is done well in some of the others (I should be editing right now) instead of just the negative stuff. Now I probably have made you mad.

Gotta go.

Steve

PS Feel free to shoot back, there is a photo gallery on my web page. I don’t practice all that I preach. Most of the images are more than 5 years old. Updating the whole thing is on my long and never ending to-do list.
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #21
Wrangler

Steven

I removed the bent over skiier from #10, I could remove the other as well. Take a look.

The photographer on the beach in #4 is actually me. Someone else took that shot. Probably just my vanity that put it up. No one seems to like the Lexus, and I understand why. I'll probably take it down shortly.

I agree #2 and #3 are fairly "meh". Sometimes it doesn't sink in until someone else says it.

#17 with the powerlines in the sky is actualy shot off the reflection in a car window. I like the look it has, but wonder if it would be better without the powerlines. I took them out.

#25, with the chair lift shadow, it isn't sharp because I had my digicam set it low res, and with only 2x zoom, I had to crop it a lot to get that picture, so it's lost all its "clean-ness" through that. The original picture is much nicer, but more cluttered. I don't know if I even still have it.

Don't worry, it's pretty hard to make me mad. I take criticism well. In fact I'd usualy rather have constructive criticism than praise. Praise is inspiring, but doesn't help you improve.

Actually, I'm going to buy a new digital camera shortly, I should start a thread where everyone can praise my photos beyond belief, so I can show it to my fiancee and say "see, I NEED to spend two grand on a new camera, I'm awsome!" :) Heh heh...
Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:31 AM   #22
Wrangler

UPDATE

Can I get some feedback on a photoshop job I did on one pic?

Original
http://www.pyroglyphfilms.com/galler...od%20lift1.jpg

Photoshopped (leves adjusted, a bit more saturation, and unshapr mask)
http://www.pyroglyphfilms.com/galler...20lift%20a.jpg
Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:44 AM   #23
Trustee

Dylan,

#10 big improvement

# 4 just for fun you might try playing around in PS with that one. Try some extreme contrast changes or other effects to see if you can silhouette the photographer and make it into a logo or something wild.

#17 improved

#25 growing on me, it must be art.

The PS comparison shots, improved, but a little too much contrast, I think. Definitely a question for Jeff Donald.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:40 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Dylan,

The first thing I notice when looking at your gallery page is that the pictures are all over the place. You might try picking a theme and trying to get 12-15 good pictures on that(which may mean shooting hundreds). Another aproach would be to try and incorporate your film experience into stills. Try and tell a story in still shots.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy