DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Outstanding Image Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/21807-outstanding-image-software.html)

Steven Digges February 23rd, 2004 10:48 AM

Outstanding Image Software

I don’t get excited about software very often but I just got an outstanding image viewing and organizing program for $50.00 bucks. If you deal with large numbers of digital images this is the best workflow tool I know of. A typical work flow for me means I may shoot 500 images in a day, pull off 50 of them as fast as I can to hand off, then edit, organize, rename, reduce copies for web res, and burn to disk later. What a time consuming hassle. This program does it all and makes it easy.

The codec is excellent, even thumbnails look good.
Lots of viewing options.
Great tools, like batch rename, I gave a folder with 700 files in it a three letter event code and it automatically added a chronological number after that to every image (I shoot with two bodies so that fixes a lot for me).
It is fast, handles tons of images without a problem.
Is super easy to use
Does many other things

It is called ACDsee and you can download a trial version here www.acdsystems.com

Apparently it is very popular in Europe, and lots of guys at my media center use it. The bottom line is that my job was just made easier by a consumer application. I bought the power pack with an editing program, and printing program just for the heck of it but they are definitely consumer apps. It is the ACDsee program I like.

Steve

John Garcia February 23rd, 2004 01:29 PM

awesome tip. ive also heard many good things about ACDsee. Ill look into it!

Adrian Douglas February 23rd, 2004 10:04 PM

I've got v3.0 of ACDsee and it's is a great time saver. It views all formats including PSD something that Windows can't do. I'd totally recommend it to anyone using a digital camera or scanning film.

Steven Digges February 23rd, 2004 11:50 PM

Their up to v6 now. The more I use it the more I love it. Sorting filters, contact sheets, and more exif info than stats at a ball game.

Steve

Rob Lohman February 24th, 2004 05:45 AM

ACDSee seems to be in everybody's treasure chest. I'm personally
more fond of IrfanView though.

Jacques Mersereau March 2nd, 2004 03:45 PM

Do either of these programs work on OSX 10.3.2?

Steven Digges March 3rd, 2004 10:35 AM

ACDsee only lists system requirements for Windows

Harry Settle March 3rd, 2004 05:49 PM

Been using ACDsee for year, it's great. Makes life easy if you are dealing with photos.

Rob Lohman March 4th, 2004 05:14 AM

I'm afraid IrfanView is Windows only as well. Sorry.

Jeff Donald March 4th, 2004 06:31 AM

A similar program for Mac's is iView MediaPro. If you have very large catalogs to build take a look at Portfolio by Extensis.