DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   How do you like your DSLR? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/22793-how-do-you-like-your-dslr.html)

Robert Sato March 12th, 2004 06:06 AM

How do you like your DSLR?

I've been contemplating about a SLR (35mm) for a while. With what's coming out these days & the pricepoint of DSLR, I'm kinda on the fence between SLR vs DSLR. How do you like your Canon?

Robert

Will Downing March 12th, 2004 10:09 AM

Robert,
We're shooting a Canon D-Rebel, and so far I'm impressed with the camera. There are some things which drive me nuts, such as no split screen for manual focus, and the auto-focus assist is pretty much useless. However, the positives outweigh the negatives (not a bad pun for 4 hours of sleep!)
The kit lens is adequate, but Canon still makes superb glass for it's other cameras that works just fine on the D-Rebel. I would recommend purchasing a 50mm 1.8 prime and whatever flavor of "L" series glass for a good zoom as well. I would also recommend buying a good flash. We are using a Pro-Master 5750 Digital w/ a Canon digital module, and are having success with it.

(Go to next post due to length)

Will Downing March 12th, 2004 10:16 AM

D-Rebel continued:
Be aware that the D-Rebel has had some growing pains, such as Error 99 failures, which has to do with connections between the camera and lens, among other reasons, but the service from Canon's repair centers is apparently top notch from what I'm able to glean from other websites/chat rooms.

This is not a flame on the Nikon systems. I have an good friend who has been shooting since the 60's that uses a Nikon D-100, and his images just blow me away. For him it was a financial decision, as he already owns Nikon glass, and everything transferred neatly across.

I'm personally going purchase a D-Rebel, or a good used 10-D. Either way you go, with Nikon or Canon, I feel you cannot go wrong moving into the DSLR camaras.

Will

Tommy Haupfear March 12th, 2004 08:14 PM

I started out with a Digital Rebel but quickly upgraded to a 10D.

I'm currently using the 28-135mm IS USM lens and a Canon 420ex flash.

My only complaints of the D-Rebel and 10D is of course what Will said about the autofocus assist strobe (can be disabled on the 10D). The 420ex flash will also eliminate the assist strobe by using its own assist beam. Its also worth noting that the 420ex is the only flash takes full advantage of all 7 autofocus points on the 10D. You can even use the autofocus assist on the 420ex without firing the flash by using a custom function (10D only).

I'm also not a big fan of the 1.6x multiplier as I prefer wide angle over zoom.

This link might be of some help deciding between the 10D and Digital Rebel.

http://bobatkins.com/photography/dig...10d-rebel.html

Yow Cheong Hoe March 13th, 2004 08:38 AM

Check out the new Nikon D70. Great specs and plenty of great results. As a matter of fact, the only drawback seems to be the plastic body!

I'll probably get one soon, when the money comes in...

Robert Sato March 23rd, 2004 05:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. I forgot that the thread was partially moved to this forum <g>.

My problem is I still can't make up my mind on whether to go DSLR or SLR.

I don't know if the cost of ownership actually turns out to be higher on DSLR than SLR due to having to print, etc? Or will the developing & printing of unwanted photos make it the opposite?

I have another parameter. I consider my self a hobbysit when it comes to photography. I owned an Olympus for the longest time but not anymore. Hence I was longing for a SLR & I was going that direction to revive my hobby.

Then my spouse tells me that she wants to get into photography - she has always used an automatic compact camera, never an SLR. That further confused me due to the cost-of-ownership, together with the recent technological advancements.

I would think that DSLR will be good for my spouse to learn photography since I won't have to pay for developing/printing unwanted pictures.

I'm assuming that current crop of DSLRs have controls of the traditional SLR & the only difference is the media it captures the image to. Meaning she'll be able to learn what different f-stops, lighting, speed, etc will have an effect on the resulting image on a DSLR.

If so then DSLR might be the better of the two. Being a Geek I do worry about how soon a 6MP DSLR will go unto obsolence while a SLR is probably good until it dies. I do not care about speed but I do care about image quality & how close it is to a SLR image. Maybe I'm asking too much.

Robert

Dylan Couper March 23rd, 2004 06:33 PM

I think any digital camera is easier to learn on becaue you can see the picture you took immediatly, and reshoot on the spot. Plus you don't have to scan it if you want to do some Photoshop work on it.

I think this alone is worth the extra money, although there is no reason you have to get a DSLR when you might do very well with a medium range Digicam. Some of them are very good, at a reasonable price.

And if you shoot lots of film, the DSLR will pay the difference in the price.

Personaly, I just bought a Minolta A2, which is technicaly, not a DSLR, but it does have 8 megapixels, full manual controls, image stabilization, a 28-200mm GT lens and all the extra features a digicam has over a DSLR, for the same price as a Digital Rebel. It was the camera that suited my needs the best.

Rob Belics March 23rd, 2004 10:46 PM

Robert,

You say you're wife wants to learn photography. Does she mean in the artistic sense? The difference between digital and film responses are significantly different. Especially between film prints and digital prints.

You will not learn film speeds using digital. Especially if you want to do slides or work with a lab on prints or work in low light. Nor will you learn lenses except if you have interchangeable lenses. (Well, let's say it's not the same as using a zoom).

You can learn composition with a dslr quicker, though.

You can take your roll film to a lab and get contact prints to help choose which shots to print full size.

I still use my OM2 going on 27 years now, I think, and still using my three original lenses. I think I paid $600 or less for all of it. So I would have a tough time wanting to plunk down over $1000 (maybe over $2000) for a high end digital and lenses.

Tom Kronberg March 23rd, 2004 11:16 PM

^You can learn iso with a digital.
I have a drebel and olympus 5060. The drebel's shutter broke after about 4000 shots. error 99.
The reason why I prefer the 5060 is the minimum moving parts. The 5060 has excellent quality and the custom controls are much better than the drebel.
The drebel's a great camera and looks beautiful, but it won't last forever and is bulkier of course.
Go with the rebel if you need night shots, it's got very low noise at high iso. Go with the 5060 if you want reliability, and good build quality, custom configuration.

Jeff Donald March 23rd, 2004 11:18 PM

I teach photography, both film and digital. Digital has many, many advantages over film. My digital students progress at a much faster rate (and have much lower non-hardware costs) than my film students. the only real drawback is the higher initial hardware costs. The higher hardware costs are quickly made up in terms of film and print processing costs.

I only print the images I want, the prints I make are easier to produce, require much less time than darkroom prints and I can make identical copies.

Witold Chrabaszcz March 24th, 2004 03:50 PM

I have a Fuji S2. I am very impressed with the camera. It has a few minor shortcomings but nothing I can't live without. The only thing I wish it had was a better burst mode. I often shoot lots of motosport action, and 2-2.5 frames/sec isn't that great.

Robert Sato March 29th, 2004 11:30 AM

Thanks for all your input.

After reading through the replies, reading the links & also reading reviews on dpreview & such I'm moving towards DSLR.

The 10D or Drebel sounds like a perfect body (I like the review on 10D but like one of the link said, a $600 question).

Maybe I can get a non-zoom (50mm) lens so my spouse can use it to get acquainted with photography & to take off the rust myself.

Robert

David Mintzer March 31st, 2004 12:41 PM

If you buy the camera consider the 50mm 1.8 Mark 2 lens (if you can find one) They aren't built like L lenses but in the Canon array, the lens gives you fantastic results---and if I remember they cost about 70 bucks!