Colour to B&W question for The Jeff at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old August 29th, 2004, 09:48 PM   #1
Wrangler

Colour to B&W question for The Jeff

Q for Jeff Donald

Jeff, in a different thread you mentioned some online tutorials for converting colour photos to black and white. Just wondering if you could reccomend one in particular. I've got a bunch of colour photos that I want to change to B&W and have printed. So far I've just been desaturating in Photoshop and then adjusting the brightness/contrast until it pleases the eye.

Thanks!
Old August 29th, 2004, 10:43 PM   #2
Warden

to convert to B&W never, never, never, use Image>Mode>Gray Scale. visible banding will occur and you'll lose a great deal of tonality and contrast.

If you want to spend a few buck get this plugin for PS from the Imaging Factory. It does great B&W conversions.

The next best method is as follows:

Open image in PS and duplicate the layer.

In the layers palette make a hue & Saturation adjustment layer, click OK in the window that appears

Make a second Hue & Saturation adjustment layer, click OK in the window that appears.

(If you don't know how to make an H&S adjustment layer go Window>Layers>click on the half black half withe circle and select Hue/Saturation).

Now click on the H&S adjustment layer icon (half circles) and in the H&S window adjust the saturation to -100 (lowest number to the left), click OK.

Click on the second adjustment layer to select it.

Now look at the Layers palette and find the Blending Mode drop down (should say normal), it in the upper left portion of the palette. Change the setting from Normal to Color.

Click on the H&S icon and the H&S window will appear.

Move the Hue adjustment to get the gray scale that you like for your image.

This is a Russell Brown technique.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #3
Wrangler

Perfect!

That's why you are "The" Jeff!

Thanks!
Old August 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Channel Mixer adjustment layer in Photoshop would let you do this in one step. Click on Monochrome in the Channel Mixer window and then you can use the RGB channels to control the contrast.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #5
Warden

The Channel Mixer is another method I use occasionally. The look is different between the two methods and overall I've had better success with H/S adjustment layers.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 30th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I figure that any color adjustments or changes are really doing the same thing, which is adjusting the color channels. I like the Channel Mixer because it let's me know exactly how those adjustments are being made.

Another method that I like to use when I don't want to put too much effort into it is the Gradient Map adjustment layer with a black to white gradient. It is not as tweakable as the Channel Mixer, but it is easy and looks much better than simple desaturation.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 12:01 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I think you can never have too many alternatives on such a task. One method does not seem to cover all bases.

I had not tried the H/S adjustment layer technique that Jeff mentioned, but it looks very good.

The tool that I most often use is Fred Miranda's "B&W Workflow Pro" Photoshop plug-in. It offers 3 general techniques for accomplishing the conversion, with the semi-manual and full-manual methods basically centered around channel balance manipulation. It also offers duotone and tritone options as well as "film grain". For $30 it's hard to beat.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #8
Warden

Fred has a bunch of very affordable PS plugins that are hard to beat.

Old August 31st, 2004, 02:40 PM   #9
Major Player

I got this tip from a website..

-Add a new "adjustment layer" to your base image and pick the Channel Mixer type. Now you can channel-mix like mad and still have the "layer undo" advantage.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy