DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   New Canon 300D rebel with cashback or used 10D? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/34419-new-canon-300d-rebel-cashback-used-10d.html)

Dave Croft November 3rd, 2004 05:50 PM

New Canon 300D rebel with cashback or used 10D?

Hi all,

I am gonna buy a DSLR very soon, and can't decide between the rebel or 10D. I know this has been covered before, but now Canon (in the UK) are giving out a £100 ($185) rebate on the rebel.

http://www.canon.co.uk/eos300dcashback/index.asp

So would it be better to get a new rebel or a used 10D (off Ebay) as the prices would be about the same.

Another factor is maybe being able to afford better glass by getting the rebel, and the picture quality is the same between the rebel and 10D. I guess I need a bit of reassurance of the rebels build quality, as that is what is basically stopping me get one, I would like the 10D just not sure about 2nd hand or not (and can't afford a 20D ;)

Any replies appreciated,
Dave.

Ken Tanaka November 3rd, 2004 06:12 PM

You've not indicated what type of shooting you plan to do with the camera so I'll assume your objective is just to have a camera for general fun. In that case I'd recommend a new DRebel. You'll get most of the value of a 10D and have a new, rather than used, camera.

Dave Croft November 3rd, 2004 06:26 PM

Hi Ken, Yeah forgot to mention what I'll be shooting!

I've done quite a bit of landscape stuff with medium format, and hope to shoot more of the same, plus architecture and hopefully do some freelance events and sports shooting in the near future when I've finished my degree at college.

I'm thinking that I want to be do some serious photography, and not just for fun. So my reason for getting the Drebel would be so I could afford some pretty good lenses (17-40 L, 28-135 and maybe 70-200 L) and then upgrade to a 20D or better and still have all my good lenses when I need too.

Should I just save for a new 10D (if I can still find one - is it disscontinued now?).

Thanks,
Dave.

Dylan Couper November 3rd, 2004 07:04 PM

If you are going to save up, save for a 20d. :)

Actually, I wanted to add that if you are doing any serious sports shooting, the burst mode in the DRebel is pretty limited and you'd be better off with the 10d. If you don't plan to do much, then I'd vote for the DRebel.

Ken Tanaka November 3rd, 2004 08:37 PM

Dave, you won't see too much practical difference between the results of the 300D and 10D. As Dylan suggested, the 20D would be the better choice today for what you want to do.

Jon Meester November 3rd, 2004 09:15 PM

Dave, You'll find thw two cameras very similar in picture quality. If you are planning on shooting a lot of sports the 10d or the 20d would be better choices. That having been said you could always use the rebel as a second body. I myself would go with the rebel. I think you'll find it more camera for you money.

Jeff Donald November 4th, 2004 07:11 AM

If you shoot sports and need a high burst rate, then get the 20D. The 20D with the improved write times, faster DIGIC II processor and fast CF card will smoke a 10D. Rob Galbraith said the 20D was one of the fastest cameras they've ever tested.

The improved AF, better flash, ability to use "S" lenses, etc. are icing on the cake.

Tommy Haupfear November 4th, 2004 10:18 AM

I'll echo that saving up for the 20D is definitely best even if it means scaling back your original lens purchase.

I started off with a Digital Rebel and then upgraded to a 10D and now the 20D. The Digital Rebel is the way to go if you don't need a high burst rate and your budget is limited. Currently there is a $300 total rebate if you purchase the D. Rebel, a qualifying lens, and flash.

Then there are the brave souls that void their manufacturer's warranty and place hacked firmwares on their Digital Rebels and give it much of the lost functionality (sans hardware differences) of its more expensive 10D sibling.

As Jeff mentions the flash on the 20D is much improved over the 10D and D. Rebel for that matter. I'm saving up for a 580ex but the onboard flash has me surprisingly pleased in the interim.

Dave Croft November 5th, 2004 10:17 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! After your comments and more 'research' (dpreview is great) I sure would love a 20D :)

Whatever I get, I would like a good combo of lenses to cover an extensive focal range. Would the lenses I mentioned previously be a good combo do you think? (17-40 L, 28-135 IS, 70-200 L and probably the 50mm).

Obviously sharp images are a must, but I can't afford top L glass, and the 17-40 L and 70-200 L are definite possibilities, being not too pricey.

Tommy Haupfear November 5th, 2004 10:20 AM

Dave, if you go the way of the Digital Rebel I would drop the 28-135mm IS and go for the 17-85mm IS with the new EF-S mount. I've really been enjoying this lens and I wish it was out when I had my Digital Rebel. Its not "L" glass but its ranked just a hair behind on image quality and AF speed. I used the 28-135mm IS with both my D. Rebel and 10D.

Here is a pic of my past D. Rebel with the 28-135mm IS.

Click here