D-SLR lifespan at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:11 PM   #1
Wrangler

D-SLR lifespan

I think it was discussed here a long while ago, and I can't find the old thread, so...

How long are the current batch of digital SLR's good for (DRebel, 10D, 20D) before needing service or repair, especially in terms of shutter/mirror actuation? I think I read something about 5000 clicks before you can start to expect to spend some money on it.

Can anyone educate me a little more about this?

Thanks!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:24 PM   #2
New Boot

Dylan, I think your 5000 shots should be more like 50,000 or 150,000. Canon and Nikon test their top of the line cameras for 500,000 cycles. The Digital Rebel, 10D, 20D, are basically the same as a mindrange film camera as far as the guts go.

As with any camera, expected life will be different with each body. Some lasting years and others lasting months.
Jon Meester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #3
Wrangler

Thank goodness....!
Wouldn't want to send it in for servicing every year.
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I believe that both the 10D and the 20D's shutter life span are set for a minimum of 50,000 actuations.
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #5
Warden

The shutter for the 10D was rated at 50,000 to 60,000 (can't remember, haven't had my coffee yet). The 20D shutter is rated at double the life of the 10D, this is stated in several reviews and the Canon literature. The 1DMkII is rated at 150,000 to 200,000. But remember, these are only averages. I've seen shutter fail on F5's, D100's, EOS 1n etc. with only a few hundred actuation's. I think shutter failures were more common on film cameras people of the constant risk of damage while loading film.

I would rank the 20D above a mid-range film camera. The top speed of an 1/8000 of a second shutter speed is very high and not found in mid-range film cameras. The increased shutter speed also responsible for the improved shutter life span.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I saw some fellow's post at dpreview in the last week or so, that said his D70 clicked for the final time in the 119,000s range. Thats reassuring to me as I own a D70 too and feel certain I'll never approach 100k clicks. Pro photographers otoh, will most likely be choosing at least the camera one step up from the likes of the D70.
Bill Keen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy