Film Developing / Scanning Service at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old December 28th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Film Developing / Scanning Service

Does anyone know - are there any services out there that will develop your film and provide full resolution digital images from the film? And by full-rez, I mean something like 4000 x 2000.

Thanks a lot.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #2
Trustee

Well, is there any way to scan 35mm film negatives? Are film scanners any good?
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

Camera shops used to be able to send your film to Kodak for this. I got a roll done several years ago on a photo CD. There were files in different resolutions on the disk, the highest res were similar to what you want. The scans looked really good.

I had a Minolta Dimage film scanner for awhile and used it to digitize a lot of my photos. The results were pretty good, but I heard the Nikon Coolscan was better. I would have gotten that instead, but at the time they were so popular that nobody had them in stock.

But since I haven't touched any of my film cameras in about 4 years I just haven't kept up with this...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #4
Trustee

I know about Kodak picture CD but I thought those were pretty low res. Does anyone know if they're higher res, and if that's still around?

Boyd thanks for the info.
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I've just begun scanning my film images with a Dimage 5400 film scanner. It's terrific, better (and less costly) than the comparable Nikon.

Depending on how many images you plan to scan, and how fussy you are, you might actually best benefit by investing in a good film scanner.

Many good photo development services will produce high-res scans on CD for additional fees. It's been a while since I've used a Kodak Photo CD but I believe they are actually produced in several resolutions (low, med, high). The best place to begin looking for a local service is to inquire at a local camera stores.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Big brand film scanners are very good, however I do not recommend getting one because scanning is so laborious.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just about all labs I have dealt with can provide scans of slides although this is costly and adds up vary fast if you get every roll done. For a while I would just get them developed and mounted and have the keepers scanned although even that added up to the point that it was cheaper to buy a good scanner. So I did. I went with the Minolta although The Nikon line is vary good and I actually would suggest it over Minolta if you have a lot of slides to scan.
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy