DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Organizing still photos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/37511-organizing-still-photos.html)

Tony Hall January 9th, 2005 03:40 AM

Organizing still photos

I just started using Portfolio to organize my still photos. I find it challenging to sort a mixture of snapshots and more thought out pictures into categories. What kind of categories do you use for organizing your pictures?

Ken Tanaka January 10th, 2005 12:17 PM

Hello Tony,
So much technical information is harvested from digital images' EXIF data during cataloging that little is left for you to assign, or so it sometimes seems.

Key-wording / key-phrasing is the main user-assignable method for relocating material in Portfolio. (I use iView's MediaPro, a similar cataloging system.) I chose a very simple system based on content. In doing so I considered that there would already be an implicit organizational structure in place; the location of the source images. So I mainly key-worded according to the main subject and then by the setting (ex: day, night, etc.)

Off-topic: If you've not already committed to purchasing Portfolio I recommend that you also look at iView's MediaPro. I was very disappointed by Portfolio for a number of reasons and have been delighted by MediaPro. It's a far superior product in my experience.

Aaron Koolen January 10th, 2005 01:23 PM

I've been looking for some photo management software too. I use Windows, and I've found Picasa to be pretty damned good - and it's free. What I like about it, is that it's very slick, and intuitive to use. Check it out at picasa.com (Also available through Google's tools), of course I don't know if you're Windows or not.

I don't think iView MediaPro offers a downloadable demo, which seems to be a slight oversight on their part - please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Aaron

Tony Hall January 10th, 2005 01:42 PM

I like Portfolio alot so far. Between keywording and being able to search EXIF info and creating a master keywords list and categorizing your pictures... I don't know how you could be more organized. The only problem that I have is the subjective process of categorizing my photos for organization. Sure, I can keyword them all, but it just doesn't seem right to have a bunch of snapshots mixed in among my more artistic photos.

The hard part is just coming up with the right category structure that makes sense and is easy to navigate. Things like "hmm... should I put my 'tombstones' category under 'achitectural' or 'landscape'" can have me scratching my head for hours.

Ken Tanaka January 10th, 2005 01:49 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : I don't think iView MediaPro offers a downloadable demo, which seems to be a slight oversight on their part - please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Aaron -->>>

You stand corrected.

Aaron Koolen January 10th, 2005 02:07 PM

Just downloaded portfolio, and I don't like the interface. Most photo catalog interfaces look so old school and clunky. Porfolio is that. Try picasa and you'll see what I mean.

Ken, thanks for that. I was too hasty and didn't read past the first sentence ;) Downloading now.

Aaron

Tony Hall January 11th, 2005 08:07 AM

I tried Portfolio first and didn't like it... of course it's a good deal for free.

Emre Safak January 13th, 2005 11:09 PM

I adore iMatch.

Brian Kennedy January 26th, 2005 11:30 PM

I'm a big fan of IMatch, too. It works great, and the hierarchal categories are very intuitive.

Tony Hall February 1st, 2005 02:44 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Hall : I tried Portfolio first and didn't like it... of course it's a good deal for free. -->>>

Oops, I meant Picassa