Movie Short shot with Canon 20D! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old April 30th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I can't view the movie, boo hoo. Can someone please describe this clip?

Here's something that sounds exciting: the soon-to-be-released Canon S2 IS:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6466-7774

Dorothy
Dorothy Engleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoli Wang
Actually, the sensor size of the 20D (22.5 x 15.0 mm) is quite close to that of a 35mm movie frame (24 x 18 mm), rather than 2/3" HD camera (8.8 x 6.6 mm).

This is a pretty innovative experiment...you pretty much get a projectable quality 35mm-like image with similar DOF as long as you find a way to get around the frame rate and short takes.

Isn't there some DSLR that can shoot at 14fps?

After viewing this movie at our local Apple Store today, let me add another enthusiastic "WOW"!!!

This is indeed a pretty cool experiment which I can't wait to explore with the soon-to-be-released Canon 12x Powershot S2 IS which can shoot at 30 and 15fps.

Thanks for sharing this exciting clip!

Dorothy
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:49 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Actually, the S2 1S only does 2.4fps, you're talking about the movie mode.
Xiaoli Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:58 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Actually, the S2 1S only does 2.4fps, you're talking about the movie mode.
Xiaoli, are you saying this movie at 5fps was composed in the still camera mode? Dorothy
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:07 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Yes...that's the point of the whole film/thread...

The 20D can do 5 fps for up to 23 frames. It doesn't have a movie mode as it is an SLR.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:37 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yes...that's the point of the whole film/thread...

The 20D can do 5 fps for up to 23 frames. It doesn't have a movie mode as it is an SLR.
Yikes, thanks Xiaoli! My brain definitely was MIA for this thread!

So, if the maximum continuous shooting was 23 frames, this movie must've been a herculean task to shoot and edit. Or was there an easier way to pull this off? Dorothy
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:23 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I'd imagine so, considering it'd be over a thousand images and a few gigs of space. The most bothersome part would probably be the 5 second takes, but you can tell about every 5 seconds he changes to another scene.

With a fast computer and good organizational skills it is do-able, as already proven.

The most interesting part in my opinion is the sensor size of DSLRs and the 35mm-like images it can produce.
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Your short film reminded me allot of early silent films, I keep expecting a black screen with text explaining the scene to pop up. I like the technique very much, very creative.

I also have a 20d, and when set to record small images (1728x1152) you can more or less take images at 5fps until you run out of space. I was able to take 750 continually until I ran out of space.

Last edited by Jeremy Peterson; May 8th, 2005 at 02:40 AM.
Jeremy Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #24
Major Player

This looks very much like video shot with a sony HD 950 Cinealta. Some noise in the blacks. Very cool.
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:52 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Can you render the movie in WMV HD? looks way better that way.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #26
Trustee

how can you tell the differenc between a 950 and a 900?
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
how can you tell the differenc between a 950 and a 900?
If you're only on a first mortgage, it's the newer 950. If it's the second mortgage, then it's the older 900.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #28
Regular Crew

i'm not on here much nowadays.. but i just thought i'd comment that i's cool to see someone else doing this.. i thought i was the only one.

i've been shooting short clips with a DSLR for a film we have in production since late 2004. [edit: and my first real experiments doing so were in 2003.. i think i posted some of them here] It's been a very interesting process, and can produce some very unique results.. getting a slow-mo-sped-up savingprivateryan type effect is very easy, especially if you shoot shutter priority (as the built in exposure meter isnt perfect etc and each frame will be slightly pushed or pulled, causing flickering). I've been shooting very fast shutter (1/500th or quicker) and then using blurring algorhythm + track matte in post to simulate a more natural filmic look. Also, i've been shooting handheld, and going for weird bullet-time jib type motions.. which produces some jittery crazy movement (that I like).. but with the overall resolution available, I've also found as long as you don't frame anything too tightly.. you can always use the extra resolution to motion track and stabilize the footage, further concealing it's origins. Such a shame it will eventually be 480p.. rotoscoping at 3k is remarkably fun :). In a few weeks when post is totally finished, i'll post some 720/24p clips here if i can remember heh.

i've also been doing some other unique stuff with the DSLR i am 99.9% certain no one else is doing.. but i'm keeping that a secret for now ;)
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #29
Trustee

Ha! excellent point chris...
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #30
Inner Circle

This movie goes perfect with a song from the game "Sly 2: Band of Theives". I recompressed the original movie into H.264 at 140Kb\s and used uncompressed audio to sync the music with the video and I must say it almost fits the sped up 24fps footage. In case you've played the game, the music is from the part where you're in Dimitri's nightclub. The file size is about 70 to 80MBs but I can't upload it (I wanna respect Patryk Rebisz).
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy