Thinking about moving from Canon to Nikon... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old March 27th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #16
Major Player

Hi Charles,

have a look here. You migh have to translate the page.

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Cheers
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #17
Major Player

I've been using my Nikon lenses on my Digital Rebel for the last 6 months or so. I only have a couple though. I've been using a Nikon to EOS mount adapter I bought off ebay for about $30.

Here is a pic of my camera with nikon 50mm f1.8
http://www.pbase.com/roxics/image/47205173

You have to use the camera in aperture priority or full manual mode when shooting with the nikkors.

Personally I don't think the results are as good. It depends on the lens of course, but because the camera can't communicate with the lens you need more careful exposure tweaking when shooting AP mode. I prefer the look of my newer canon lens. The colors are brighter and more contrasty. That's just my personal opinion though.

I've also heard the older Nikon lenses perform better on Canon DSLR's with the adapter then they do on Nikon DSLR's. Don't know how true that is though.

Here is an example (not the best example by any means) to show the difference between my Nikon 50mm mounted on my 300D and my made for canon Tamron 28-105AF.

Nikon 50mm
http://www.pbase.com/roxics/image/57828804

Tamron
http://www.pbase.com/roxics/image/57828859

Unfortunately these were taken before I started shooting RAW with my camera, but it should stil give you a rough idea of how an older Nikon lens performs on a Canon DSLR.
Old April 1st, 2006, 05:28 AM   #18
Outer Circle

Charles, I have an FM2T. It's a fine camera. I also have several great primes for it---since prices have dropped dramatically in the used market. Your FE is a great SLR too---probably even better in some respects. Hey, Zeiss/Cosina is coming out with f-mount AIS lenses, you know. However, for digital, I believe Canon is THE way to go. But then what do I know, eh? ;*)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:33 AM   #19
RED Code Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh
Hi Rob,

thanks for that. Hey long time no speak, hope i find you in good spirits.
Thanks, I'm good. Just unbelievably busy the last half year. Hope everything
is good with you as well.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #20
Wrangler

Thanks for all info posted in here gents. As fine as my FE is, I'm too smitten with shooting digital stills to imagine when I would want to shoot film again (anyone want to buy it and the lenses???!) About the only thing I miss is the shallower DOF due to the larger image area in 35mm.

The adaptor sounds promising--but Mike's images illustrate a definite issue of some sort (backfocus? light leak?)

Guess I'll have to start investing in some more lenses to satisfy my needs.
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert

Guess I'll have to start investing in some more lenses to satisfy my needs.

all i can say is, uh oh....nothing will bankrupt you faster than lens lust! not even camera lust is quite as insidious.....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #22
Outer Circle

At least with old cameras and M-mounts, you can find great deals on lenses in the used market. Works for me. :-)
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #23
Warden

Hi Charles, Hi Frank, it's been a while and good to post with you again. In my opinion Nikor lenses have the edge in the wide angle category and Canon has the edge in telephoto lenses. Match your shooting preference with the lenses superiority and your set. If you're using a full frame camera i.e. Canon then the Canon WA lenses will show their weakness when you go large (bigger than 8x10). Since Nikon doesn't make a full frame camera then the WA issue may be a mute point. Many Canon full frame users choose to go with Zeiss for their WA needs. Of course this means giving up AF, but this happens in the pursuit of perfection,

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Donald
Hi Charles, Hi Frank, it's been a while and good to post with you again. In my opinion Nikor lenses have the edge in the wide angle category and Canon has the edge in telephoto lenses. Match your shooting preference with the lenses superiority and your set. If you're using a full frame camera i.e. Canon then the Canon WA lenses will show their weakness when you go large (bigger than 8x10). Since Nikon doesn't make a full frame camera then the WA issue may be a mute point. Many Canon full frame users choose to go with Zeiss for their WA needs. Of course this means giving up AF, but this happens in the pursuit of perfection,
Actually comparisons have shown the nikon WA's to be very much the same as the canon. For example the nikon 17-35 compared to the canon 16-35. Someone who owns both systems has compared them by shooting both lenses on a Canon full frame body

Obviously if you compare the nikon 17-35 on a 1.6 crop body to a 16-35 on a full frame body you see some differences in the corners but you are comparing 16mm to 27mm. In order for the comparison to be valid you would need a 10mm lens on the crop body

IMO lens quality wise there isnt much of a difference between nikon and canon. Canon still has more IS lenses especially in telephoto and also has more lenses where USM and IS (nikon AFS and VR) are combined in the same lens.
Old April 15th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #25
Warden

Quote:
Actually comparisons have shown the nikon WA's to be very much the same as the canon. For example the nikon 17-35 compared to the canon 16-35. Someone who owns both systems has compared them by shooting both lenses on a Canon full frame body
I've seen many comparisons too and in my opinion the Nikon WA lenses are generally superior to the Canon WA lenses. The same comparisons have included Zeiss and Leitz (Leica) lenses as well and they trump both Canon and Nikon. You pay for what you get, unfortunately you lose AF with non supported brands.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Donald
I've seen many comparisons too and in my opinion the Nikon WA lenses are generally superior to the Canon WA lenses. The same comparisons have included Zeiss and Leitz (Leica) lenses as well and they trump both Canon and Nikon. You pay for what you get, unfortunately you lose AF with non supported brands.
I would love to see some of the comparisons you mention if you could point me to them. What cameras and lenses where used and where can i see them ?

Thanks
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #27
Outer Circle

Quote:
Hi Charles, Hi Frank, it's been a while and good to post with you again. In my opinion Nikor lenses have the edge in the wide angle category and Canon has the edge in telephoto lenses
I believe you are correct. One of these days I'll have to buy that super sharp Nikkor 28mm F2. However, those new Zeiss F-mounts are sharper, or so I've read. Anyway, when I do go digital, it'll be Canon. Canon seems to be a jump ahead of the competition at every turn.

(Bought my 2nd Bessa R3A body a couple of weeks ago.)
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM   #28
Major Player

I think I'm getting the bug to switch too. I love my 300D but.. and this is going to sound silly. I really want a black camera and that D50 is looking awefully nice with it's black rubberized grip and everything. Plusing having a couple older Nikon lenses with my FE has me tempted.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 05:56 AM   #29
Outer Circle

My 2 Bessa R3A's are black. The gray ones are more expensive and I did want something professional. :)
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #30
Regular Crew

If it's depth of field you're worried about, and price, I'd run down to my local dealer and pick up a Canon 50mm 1.8 for about 70 or 80 bucks. It feels cheap and plastic-like, but with the 10d it will give you a beautiful 85mm 1.8, marvelous for street shooting, excellent for portraits. It's probably the most underrated inexpensive lens available.
Francois Camoin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy