Canon flash advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old July 8th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #1
Wrangler

Canon flash advice

Ok, I've got a pretty cheap Vivitar flash right now, which is fine because I only use it twice a year. However, it has gotten a little unreliable, and I want to pick up a new(used) flash to go with my 10d. I don't know much about Canon flashes, or any flashes really, I just want them to work, and perfectly. :)
Which one should I buy? I'll be looking on Ebay for used ones, so I'm really looking for a good bang for the buck flash, and it's fine with me if it is a model or two older.
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Dylan

you want either a 580 EX which is the biggest newest flash that will work in full E-TTL mode with your camera. The 550 EX is the flash prior to the 580 and will work fine as well.

The 420 EX will also work as E-TTL flash is a little smaller with less output and less expensive.

The 420 can not be used as a master flash in a wireless multi flash setup. Only the 550/580 can be used as a master.

The best choice would IMO be the 580 but you may not find any used or inexpensive ones. You may be able to get some deals on 550's though
Old July 9th, 2005, 01:23 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Keep your eye on Fred Miranda's Buy & Sell forum for the 550 or 580. They come up every so often. You might even consider posting a "want to buy" (WTB) message there. Check the place at least twice a day, as a lot of gear moves through that place.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #4
Wrangler

Actually, I've been looking there for a 100-400L or a Sigma 50-500mm, didn't even think about looking for a flash there. They do get huge buy/sell traffic, don't they?
Old July 10th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #5
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Actually, I've been looking there for a 100-400L or a Sigma 50-500mm, didn't even think about looking for a flash there. They do get huge buy/sell traffic, don't they?

If you are interested in a top notch flash for a Canon 10D, I happen to have a practically new Metz---I think much better then the Canon products---You can read about it and let me know if you are interested. It's the 54mz3
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #6
Wrangler

Hey David, I might have a 380ex purchased (will know tomorrow) locally, but if I don't, I will email you. Thanks for the offer!
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Hey David, I might have a 380ex purchased (will know tomorrow) locally, but if I don't, I will email you. Thanks for the offer!
No problem Dylan, let me know.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy