DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Best Consumer Photo Printer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/476426-best-consumer-photo-printer.html)

Troy Davis April 7th, 2010 07:17 PM

Best Consumer Photo Printer

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations on the best photo printer currently available for under $300.
I see a lot of photographers printing photos onsite at events and wanted to know what
most are using to get the best results?

Thanks,
Troy

Andrew Smith April 15th, 2010 05:27 AM

Where did you get this "below $300" idea from?

Andrew

Ted Ramasola April 17th, 2010 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Davis (Post 1511433)
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations on the best photo printer currently available for under $300.
I see a lot of photographers printing photos onsite at events and wanted to know what
most are using to get the best results?

Thanks,
Troy

At consumer level, get the EPSON. Those with ultrabrite inks. Look for 6 color ink cartridge if you can, it renders much better than 4 color.

Troy Davis April 20th, 2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1514567)
Where did you get this "below $300" idea from?

Andrew

I don't think that's too low for what I'm asking?

Andrew Smith April 20th, 2010 11:47 PM

Some of the very good inkjet printers that I have seen (photography grade) have been around the $1000 mark. You may have to settle for second best, given your price range.

Been a while since I've even glanced at the area, though.

Andrew

Mark Watson April 21st, 2010 05:54 AM

That's an easy one...get the Canon Pixma iP100. I got one 2 years and was so impressed, I went back and got a second one and a battery for it. Makes beautiful prints, doesn't burn through the ink. I also have two of the HP 450CBI portable printers. That model has since been replaced by model 470. Had paper feed problems with the first one but back in 2003 there weren't many choices and had to get another 450, which didn't have feed problems. I will say that the HP was very durable and a real ink miser. Since I got the iP100, I haven't used the HP anymore. B and H Photo has a special rebate offer that expires April 25th. You can get it now for $160.00.

Troy Davis April 22nd, 2010 07:32 AM

Thanks Mark!

Shawn McCalip April 24th, 2010 02:34 PM

You might want to check out ink consumption rates and the cost of replacing ink cartridges. Those inexpensive printers might look like a great deal, but they typically consume more ink than some of the pricier, more professional models. More ink consumption means you're out there spending $13-$20 per cartridge every time you run out of ink. And depending on what kinds of photos you're printing, you could be spending a ton of cash on a per-print basis by going with a cheaper printer.

Taky Cheung April 25th, 2010 11:10 PM

I'm usiing Epson Artisan 50. It's about $90. Good print quality. Print great on TY watersheild hub printable DVD. Got those Kirkland photo paper from Costco.. great price great qualty. I also use Continous Ink System .. those external tanks connected to the ink cartirdage... now don't have to buy expensive ink from Epson.

Mike Watkins May 17th, 2010 03:56 PM

Epson 1400 with inkjetfly CIS has done well for me..... If you catch the sales just right at staples, you can get it and a CIS for under $300.00.

Thanks,

Mike