DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Kodak stops B&W paper production (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/48256-kodak-stops-b-w-paper-production.html)

John DeLuca July 24th, 2005 09:27 PM

Kodak stops B&W paper production

Sad news.........

"Due to the ongoing transition to digital output technologies in both professional and educational markets, Kodak has announced manufacturing discontinuance of Black & White Photographic Papers. Sales will cease by the end of 2005.

KODAK Black & White Films and Black & White Processing Chemicals will continue to be produced.

The final availability of specific Black & White papers will vary based on type, size, configuration and surface. Please contact your normal supplier of KODAK PROFESSIONAL Products for the latest information."

John

Richard Alvarez July 25th, 2005 07:16 AM

Sad news indeed. And about a month old. Add to that last weeks announcement about huge layoffs... sad.

Illford will still be making paper. And frankly, I was always a bigger fan of Illfords paper than Kodaks. Also to be frank, I haven't 'Fired up the darkroom' in over six years. So all in all, it's an understandable move.

But sad nevertheless.

Patrick King July 25th, 2005 07:44 AM

I'll bet someone will make B&W paper until film photography is completely replaced by digital photgraphy, if that ever happens (I still know folks who prefer record albums of analog tape recordings to CDs or other digital music).

Some of the most powerful still photos that come to mind are B&W. My favorite photos in my wifes work are B&W.

Rainer Hoffmann July 26th, 2005 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick King
I'll bet someone will make B&W paper until film photography is completely replaced by digital photgraphy, if that ever happens

Well, let's hope so. But anyway, the prices will go up every time one of the manufacturers drops out of the business. And we are having less choices.

But, like Richard, I haven't been in the darkroom for years (in fact my equipment is safely stored in the attic). So probably I have no right to complain.

Richard Alvarez July 26th, 2005 05:01 AM

As I mentioned, Illford is commited to staying with their papers for a while yet.And I always preferred the Illford anyway. I still shoot 35mm stills with my ancient Canon F1. And I just went digging through crates of photos for a documentary I am finishing up. Found the stills I wanted, and SCANNED the negs into my Avid system. Used Pan and Scan for the old 'Ken Burns' effect.

While digging through the old boxes, I found negs from the 70's I never got around to blowing up, cause I couldn't afford the paper/chemicals at the time. I scanned them too. Looked great printed out on my R200. Bottom line, the negs are still 'future proof'. Another positive for film. (pun intended)

John DeLuca July 26th, 2005 08:17 AM

"Also to be frank, I haven't 'Fired up the darkroom' in over six years. So all in all, it's an understandable move"

"But, like Richard, I haven't been in the darkroom for years (in fact my equipment is safely stored in the attic). So probably I have no right to complain"

Digital printers (like mpix.com) can print on real silver based B&W paper too.

John

Rainer Hoffmann July 27th, 2005 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John DeLuca
Digital printers (like mpix.com) can print on real silver based B&W paper too.

John

Well, but getting your fingers wet in chemicals is part of the fun, isn't it?