Kodak stops B&W paper production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Kodak stops B&W paper production

Sad news.........

"Due to the ongoing transition to digital output technologies in both professional and educational markets, Kodak has announced manufacturing discontinuance of Black & White Photographic Papers. Sales will cease by the end of 2005.

KODAK Black & White Films and Black & White Processing Chemicals will continue to be produced.

The final availability of specific Black & White papers will vary based on type, size, configuration and surface. Please contact your normal supplier of KODAK PROFESSIONAL Products for the latest information."

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sad news indeed. And about a month old. Add to that last weeks announcement about huge layoffs... sad.

Illford will still be making paper. And frankly, I was always a bigger fan of Illfords paper than Kodaks. Also to be frank, I haven't 'Fired up the darkroom' in over six years. So all in all, it's an understandable move.

But sad nevertheless.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #3
Major Player

I'll bet someone will make B&W paper until film photography is completely replaced by digital photgraphy, if that ever happens (I still know folks who prefer record albums of analog tape recordings to CDs or other digital music).

Some of the most powerful still photos that come to mind are B&W. My favorite photos in my wifes work are B&W.
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King
I'll bet someone will make B&W paper until film photography is completely replaced by digital photgraphy, if that ever happens
Well, let's hope so. But anyway, the prices will go up every time one of the manufacturers drops out of the business. And we are having less choices.

But, like Richard, I haven't been in the darkroom for years (in fact my equipment is safely stored in the attic). So probably I have no right to complain.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

As I mentioned, Illford is commited to staying with their papers for a while yet.And I always preferred the Illford anyway. I still shoot 35mm stills with my ancient Canon F1. And I just went digging through crates of photos for a documentary I am finishing up. Found the stills I wanted, and SCANNED the negs into my Avid system. Used Pan and Scan for the old 'Ken Burns' effect.

While digging through the old boxes, I found negs from the 70's I never got around to blowing up, cause I couldn't afford the paper/chemicals at the time. I scanned them too. Looked great printed out on my R200. Bottom line, the negs are still 'future proof'. Another positive for film. (pun intended)
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Major Player

"Also to be frank, I haven't 'Fired up the darkroom' in over six years. So all in all, it's an understandable move"

"But, like Richard, I haven't been in the darkroom for years (in fact my equipment is safely stored in the attic). So probably I have no right to complain"

Digital printers (like mpix.com) can print on real silver based B&W paper too.

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeLuca
Digital printers (like mpix.com) can print on real silver based B&W paper too.

John
Well, but getting your fingers wet in chemicals is part of the fun, isn't it?

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy