DVinfo equivalent for Photography at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
DVinfo equivalent for Photography

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone,

In my opinion, DVinfo has the best digital filmmaking forums in the world. I am just beginning to venture in the Photography world. I was wondering if you can please recommend me what would be the DVinfo equivalent in the Photography world.

Could you please recommend me such forum/s?

Thanks very much!!

Ben Tolosa

PS: I posted this here, because I own a Canon 7D.
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,130
Photography community, including forums, reviews, and galleries from Photo.net is definitely one of the best and most popular
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 8,294
fredmiranda.com has a good forum... but they don't let you sign up with a free email account like Gmail or Hotmail, which pisses me off as I haven't had a "normal" email account in 10 years so can't access it.
__________________
Need to rent camera gear in Vancouver BC?
Check me out at camerarentalsvancouver.com
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Wrangler
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,093
Dylan, your reputation precedes you. They made that email rule just because they knew you wouldn't have a "real" email account.
;-)~
__________________
Pete Bauer
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. Albert Einstein
Trying to solve a DV mystery? You may find the answer behind the SEARCH function ... or be able to join a discussion already in progress!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tolosa View Post
Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone,

In my opinion, DVinfo has the best digital filmmaking forums in the world. I am just beginning to venture in the Photography world. I was wondering if you can please recommend me what would be the DVinfo equivalent in the Photography world.

Could you please recommend me such forum/s?

Thanks very much!!

Ben Tolosa

PS: I posted this here, because I own a Canon 7D.
Try looking at Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ

I have found them to be pretty good.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 8,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete bauer View Post
dylan, your reputation precedes you. They made that email rule just because they knew you wouldn't have a "real" email account.
;-)~
lol... Probably. :)
__________________
Need to rent camera gear in Vancouver BC?
Check me out at camerarentalsvancouver.com
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
Thanks very much you all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Photography community, including forums, reviews, and galleries from Photo.net is definitely one of the best and most popular
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
fredmiranda.com has a good forum... but they don't let you sign up with a free email account like Gmail or Hotmail, which pisses me off as I haven't had a "normal" email account in 10 years so can't access it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
Dylan, your reputation precedes you. They made that email rule just because they knew you wouldn't have a "real" email account.
;-)~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
Try looking at Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ

I have found them to be pretty good.


I checked those websites out and was there for a couple of hours. Very interesting. I also found these 2 to be very popular and very interesting:

The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum

And...

Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Again, thanks very much it was really very helpful!! ^_^

You all have a wonderful weekend!!

Ben Tolosa

PS fredmiranda has a very helpful review on the Canon 24mm f/1.4L II with opinions of several owners and was very helpful to me to put it in My 2011 WishList since in have a 7D (1.6crop).
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #8
New Boot
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NW Sunny Ole England
Posts: 18
I'm lucky enough to shoot for a living (5dii and 7d) so if theres anything I can help with feel free to ask :) The 7d is a legendary camera. I bought it expecting mediocre quality and was blown away. I just love the fact that it is so stupidly responsive. Its possible to be shooting a couple getting married, zoom in to shoot a candid moment and back out to shooting the couple all within a second and have all the shots on focus.
__________________
--
Richy Maui Wedding Planner
Richard Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,230
My advice is to put your thick skin on!

The atmosphere here at DVinfo is like no other. I wish this was true for the photography forums I visit.

There is a pretty cut throat attitude at times and nit picking of details that I still have not been able to get used to.

I shoot video & still and this is the place I like the best for learning. Although there is plenty to be learned on a site like DPreview.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,385
Try luminous landscape - it's a good site for high-end cameras, including medium format and large format cameras.
__________________
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #11
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 24
Photo Forum

+++ 1 for Fred Miranda. The buy and sell is great with a seller feedback rating.
Tom Weistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Daegu, Korea
Posts: 180
Re: DVinfo equivalent for Photography

Fred Miranda is great for tech and buy/sell. I think Pixtus has more of the same DVInfo-style atmosphere, though this place certainly is unique in that regard.

Disclaimer: I'm one of the mods on Pixtus, so I guess I'm biased.

___________________________
EDIT: Holy thread bump... I just noticed the datestamp. Oops.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:26 AM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lanark,Scotland
Posts: 736
Re: DVinfo equivalent for Photography

Talk Photography

its a UK site, its the same forum set up as DVinfo and there are some very talented photographers there.

Andy.
__________________
Actor: "where would that light be coming from?"
DP: "same place as the music" -Andrew Lesnie-
Andy Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 270
Re: DVinfo equivalent for Photography

Well, your original post is now 2 years old, but here is another website for you
Digital Photography Review

It offers some pretty hard-core reviews of gear, and an always lively forums
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:49 PM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Zealand, Rapaura (near Blenheim)
Posts: 434
Re: DVinfo equivalent for Photography

There are so many now. We even have a local to NZ forum:

Photography forum and chat - D-Photo / Hellophoto

In the beginning IIRC there was DPreview, but that became unusable because of the dire signal to noise ratio. More recently, Amazon took a controlling interest in the site, and it is way better nowadays. I rarely use the forums, but visit the news page at least once a day.

Digital Photography Review

Lots of good sites listed above. The flickr groups are OK because there are literally thousands of them, and you can home in on exactly the one that interests you. The Canon DSLR group is quite good because of the high posting rate: (if you happen tpbe a Canon shooter)

Flickr: Canon DSLR User Group

One with good content and advice is Photo Camel

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

For Adobe apps, you can do no better than the specific Adobe forum for your app of interest. Incredible level of knowledge in those forums, but as they include Adobe engineers like Chris Cox, and technical book writers like Jeff Schewe, you'd have to expect that. Jeff also appears on the Luminous Landscape, which is one of the best respected of such sites.

Adobe Community: Home

Bob Gailbraith was a top site, but I think he is too busy working to run the site nowadays.

Not a forum, but Joe McNally's blog is good value, as he is such a clever photographer. Same thing with David Hobby's Strobist blog. Not so sure about the flickr group though.
__________________
Stills at: www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-dennis/
Trevor Dennis is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network