DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Which Digital Camera is in Your Pocket? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/493816-digital-camera-your-pocket.html)

Rob Knoll March 30th, 2011 11:18 AM

Which Digital Camera is in Your Pocket?

We all have equipment that is too big to lug into certain situations. Lenses, filters, lights, batterys, chargers....the list is endless.

My question is: Which digital camera do to have in your pocket? What is your go-to camera when you are snapping pictures of your setup, or crew, or just the surroundings in the area? When the quality doesn't have to be commercial or uber-professional (still fanastic looking, just not DSLR quality) pictures.

Example: I used to have a Sony Cybershot in my camera bag, and when the setup was finished, I would take a few stills of the cast/crew/set for posterity. Well, my Sony bit the dust, and I am looking for some recomendations for "pocket B cameras" that survive travel and riggers of shooting, sub $500.

Thanks in advance.
RK

Kevin McRoberts March 30th, 2011 02:12 PM

Re: Which Digital Camera is in Your Pocket?

A used Olympus E-PL1 with whatever lens I'm not using on my GH2.

And in a pinch, it's a 720p B/C/Z cam.

Les Wilson March 30th, 2011 02:25 PM

Canon S95 .... A favorite these days among the Photographer crowd. I've used it's 720p24 as a B-cam in a pinch when I didn't need more than 12 minutes worth.

Hamish Reid March 30th, 2011 08:00 PM

I use the Canon Powershot G12 for this sort of thing (after having also owned the G11 and the G9, both of which were stolen). It's got very decent image quality, it has a viewfinder as well as the LCD, and (biggie for me...) has a 28mm equivalent wide end of the zoom (wider than many snapshooters). It's always in my backpack on any treks, shoots, walks, strolls, whatever, and (with a bit of effort) it can, well, sort of fit in your pocket :-).

David Chilson March 31st, 2011 05:35 AM

My go to camera is the Panasonic LX5. It produces fantastic images and has a great lens. The only shortcoming it may have for you is a limited zoom but for me that's a non-issue.

Here's a nice comparison test of enthusiast-type cameras of this type.

Enthusiast Compact Camera Group Test (Q4 2010) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Chris Hurd March 31st, 2011 06:49 AM

Canon PowerShot S95 here. It's a great little pocket camera.

Rob Knoll March 31st, 2011 09:39 AM

So far it looks like a Canon crowd. S95 and G12 were some of the candidates I was looking at.
Please keep the comments coming. It is interesting to hear what you all use.

Dave Blackhurst March 31st, 2011 07:08 PM

The Sony Cybershots are still an option, I'm partial to my TX9 and TX1 (and the TX7, though I sold that along the way), and when the upgrade isn't too expensive, the latest TX10 (waterproof. shockproof, within reason) and the TX100 (with 1080, 60P video that looks quite nice from the samples I've seen) are on the wish list. The latest new 16.2Mpixel sensor looks to be delivering very very good images.

I like the TX series for the small size with touch screen, and they have fairly wide lenses, but only about a 4x zoom, so not great for anything other than relatively "close" subjects (25-100mm in 35mm equivalent according to Sony). If you want more lens range, you can get similar features, and the same new 16.2M EXMOR R CMOS sensor, in many flavors of "WX" (too small for my hands, but the wife likes it), or "HX" (bigger cameras, more "long" end to the lens range). Keep in mind the latest Sony models are just barely showing up in the marketplace, and of course "last years models" are on clerance, sometimes rather cheap.

Limited manual controls, but very simple and easy cameras with quite a bit of "intelligence" that usually will take a better shot than someone fiddling trying to find the "right settings"! And I've noticed the other P&S cams tend towards 720 rather than 1080 when shooting video, I'd rather have the higher resolution, and have been pleasantly surprised with how good the results are for a "sub $500" (most sub $400, some near $200!) camera.

I'll admit a partiality to Sony products, but you probably can't go terribly wrong with some of the other brands - there's lots of extremely cool "toys" at attractive prices and with attractive features, just depends on what you decide you "like"!

David Barnett April 2nd, 2011 03:30 PM

I own a Panasonic FZ35. Great camera with tons of preset settings. Manual controls are available as well, although the manual focus is a bit combursome to use. Not a quick lens control for it. Takes great pics overall, although I've learned my photography skills are not great. Still enjoy it though, good deal for $300.

R Geoff Baker April 2nd, 2011 03:35 PM

I've been having fun with my new Sony Bloggie -- I got the one with the 360 degree angle of view option. I shoot a clip just before the 'real' camera rolls, and capture the subject, the client, the camera guy, the audio guy & me (director) -- it is fun stuff, and makes for a change from the usual production stills.

Even in 'regular' mode the video is decent and allows for frame grabs at good quality -- it shoots 1920x1080 60p, has image stabilization and true auto (not fixed) focus. Unfortunately no flash, as it really is a video camera, but on a production shoot there is plenty of light.

Sony Bloggie MHS-T20 -- look for the model that includes the annulus lens. It's a little harder to find, but worth the extra $$ for the curiosity factor alone.

Dylan Couper April 3rd, 2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chilson (Post 1633602)
My go to camera is the Panasonic LX5. It produces fantastic images and has a great lens. The only shortcoming it may have for you is a limited zoom but for me that's a non-issue.

That's what I'd be shooting, except it doesn't fit in a pant pocket... So... Canon S95 for me as well!

Mark Watson April 3rd, 2011 10:31 AM

Canon PowerShot SX210 IS. 14X zoom and macro mode plus small size were features that I got it for.

Rob Knoll April 7th, 2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Geoff Baker (Post 1634623)
I've been having fun with my new Sony Bloggie -- I got the one with the 360 degree angle of view option. I shoot a clip just before the 'real' camera rolls, and capture the subject, the client, the camera guy, the audio guy & me (director) -- it is fun stuff, and makes for a change from the usual production stills.

That is a really fun idea. A 360 deg camera would be awesome to take shots with.
I need to get my hands on one to try out!
Great for BTS and blooper reels.
I wonder what it looks like on top/bottom of a Steadicam.....hmmmm.

R Geoff Baker April 7th, 2011 09:39 AM

Here's a quick compilation of clips I shot at an industrial shoot last week -- gives an idea of the angle of view from the catadioptric reflector lens:

MobileMe Gallery

Cheers,
GB

Wayne Reimer April 8th, 2011 10:55 AM

my go to cam was a Canon G11...went everywhere with me. For the last 8 months or so, a Sony Nex 3 with a 16mm lens. Astonishing images, great video.
However, I recently got an iphone 4...I'm quite impressed with both image quality and the video. I don't see it replacing my carry around camera, instead now my wife tells me that I am hauling around too many cameras for a trip to the local 7-11.
It's not very often that I've been caught without a camera, even less often that I don't have a cell phone. I'm figuring I'm pretty well covered now