Cross Processing (E6) with Digital at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old August 26th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Cross Processing (E6) with Digital

Okies, ive thrown my hand across afew pics in an attempt to achieve this look on digital. Now with Video, i can easily emulate this with colour curves and the glow filters.. but with stills, im at a loss as to where to begin..

any ideas? Im using Photoshop CS2 and Ulead PhotoImpact 6 (it does almsot everything photoshop does but it was dirt cheap)
I also have AutoFX Mystical Lighting which has helped in many situations

ive tried contrasts etc, but for some reason i jstu cant get it right.. i dont know what it is... but to most it might LOOK ok.. but for me it just doesnt "Feel" right.. hard to explain but for me photography is very powerful and like video, gettin the look i desire is in post is as important as the shot itself. In fac tfor what i do, Post work would probably outweigh the work i do in the actual shoot itself..

in the meantime i wait for the arrival of the 5D... ive decided im going for the full frame baby.. albeit 3 grand more expensive than the 20d, in the longrun though, i wont have to upgrade too soon, and id have a larger canvas to play with too.. so that will also help.. among other benefits of the 5d.. which i wotn go into here.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #2
Trustee

I do not understand... why not use the same Curves and glow filters in your editing application? I know you can with Photoshop.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Try using a Curves adjustment layer in Photoshop, make radical color changes and then experiment with different blend modes such as overlay or color burn.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Try Digital Film Tools' 55M Suite. It's an excellent set of plug-ins for such effects.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

thanks ken, thats EXACTLY what i was looking for!!!!!!!!
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

now this i strange.. i dunno if this is the way its supposed to work?? Some pics look stunning.. then i throw on another pic, i get a pseudo negative kind of effect?? Is this normal?? I know im "cross processing" but id like to think that it would behave similarlry on all pictures...???
any ideas on a good shot setting to get optimal E6?? ive never crossprocessed, but is ther acertain shooting method to get the most out of it? ie, underexpose/overexpose etc etc
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'm sure there are general guidelines but I sure don't know where they are. In general, the Digital Film Tools people try very hard to get their film simulation tools to behave in the same manner as real film would behave. You might want to write to them to see if they can offer some guidance. They really are good folks.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

thanks ken, ill do some experimenting...

until then i wait with bated breath for the 5D... ;)
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:15 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Peter, for what it's worth, here's a digital crossprocess that allows a bit more flexibilty than 55mm (I like and use the DFT stuff all the time), go to this tutorial and download the zip file:

http://www.dcmag.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/662/v/1/sp/

What I like best is that I can define the colors, get different results. You do the same using ColorCorrect in 55mm, but I prefer to use the adjustment layers in PS, I always seem to get better results.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy