OK, well its time to throw some cash on the table... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

OK, well its time to throw some cash on the table...

and i wa looking at these kits from ebay (from legit business's mind u)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CANON-EOS-20D...ewItem#efslens

and

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MakeTrack=true

Along with a 580ex and a Battery Grip, do u think this kit is ok?? Or is an IS USM lens pretty much essential for events??

were talkin low light shots from weddings and parties etc...

I have loads of replies from other posts, but right now, im wanting to keep the whole package under 5grand AU...

any ideas?? apart from robbing a bank of course.. lol
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #2
Major Player

well - that depends on your shooting style. But considering that you mentioned low light shooting, then the low light sentivity of the lenses in question is a problem. IS only reduces blur due to camera shakes, and if you get down to 1/15 sec then the movent of the persons you are talking pictures of will start to show. And motion blur is a effect not a feature. You get "blurry" eyes due to blinking and eye movent.

With only F4 you end up using ISO 1600 1/15 in normal party lightning before you know it. Then you can of course use the flash, but then you do not need IS.

I would drop the 70-200 for parties, and get an Sigma 30mm F1.4. This baby can get you perfect 1/50 sec pics at ISO 800 using only candlelight. Then I would get a small videolight and use it for filling shadows. It gives less disruption compared to a high power flash. The 17-85 is BTW perfect for flash at parties. Wide enough for group pictures and good for portraits.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #3
New Boot

I don't know if you already got it, but here it goes. It actually depends on what and how you planning on shooting. First I would never buy EF-S lens with 20D. Don't waste your time and money. Those lenses were developed for use on Rebel. They do fit 20D and Rebel only. It will not fit anything else. The quality of EF-S lenses is also questionable. If you doing weddings professionaly you would want 70-200/2.8 lens with image stabilizer not the f4. Also those 70-200f4 were reported to have focusing problems with 10d so the same thing could be happening with 20d. For more info I'd suggest looking up some info on photography specific forums like dpreview, luminouslandscape, fredmiranda...

Good luck
Alex
Alexey Malyshev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexey Malyshev
I don't know if you already got it, but here it goes. It actually depends on what and how you planning on shooting. First I would never buy EF-S lens with 20D. Don't waste your time and money. Those lenses were developed for use on Rebel. They do fit 20D and Rebel only. It will not fit anything else. The quality of EF-S lenses is also questionable.

I second that. The only EF-S lens (or the Sigma equivalent) that might be worth buying for the 20D is the 10-22mm if you really need a true wide angle lens.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

thx for the feedback guys..

well the budget is extremely tight.. its down to about 4500AUD, so im lookin at the body, the battery grip and a 580ex flash as a definite...
and im just left with choosing the right lenses to go with it...

Im lookin at the standard 75-300 lens with AF (No IS) as a cheapy 4x zoom lens, and the 17-85 USM IS for standard shots... but i dunno if thats a good way to start off with...
or should i go for the standard 70-200mm f/4.0L USM

what do u think?
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy