Canon Digital Still Camera Information? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old November 7th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Digital Still Camera Information?

i recently purchased the canon powershot S80, plan to use it to capture stills (and maybe crude motion clips) for use in a DV project that i'm mostly shooting with my GL2. my question: i'd like to get a better handle on this new camera's advanced features. anybody know of a forum along the lines of dvinfo.net where i could gather some quality still camera tips and tricks?

thanks,
phb
Paul Bravmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Thread moved to our "Still Crazy" digicam forum... welcome home,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3
suspended -- contact admin

Actually the Canon Powershot S80 is truly a groundbreaking camera because it features a high rez movie mode with full XGA resolution (1024 x 768) at 15 frames per secound. While the camera does not quite meet high definition specifications which would require a capture rate of 24 frames per secound nevertheless it is quite capable of shooting some very sharp footage. DVinfo has an affordable high definition forum that addresses general aquisition questions that may be appropriate to discuss the movie mode of your camera.
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #4
Trustee

What do you want to learn?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
What do you want to learn?
i'd like to learn more about the advanced features--how to use the histogram, in particular.

phb
Old November 9th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bravmann
i'd like to learn more about the advanced features--how to use the histogram, in particular.
Start right here. Some books if you want to go into greater depth: "Adobe Photoshop CS2 for photographers", "Photoshop CS2 artistry", "Real world Photoshop CS2".
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #7

So which camera produces the better video The Canon powershot S80 or the Canon GL2 ?
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre Safak
Start right here. Some books if you want to go into greater depth: "Adobe Photoshop CS2 for photographers", "Photoshop CS2 artistry", "Real world Photoshop CS2".
actually, there's a histogram in the camera's viewfinder that i'd like to figure out how to use properly. i'll figure the photoshop part out after i get the camera operations under control.

phb
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy James
So which camera produces the better video The Canon powershot S80 or the Canon GL2 ?
the GL2. no contest. the S80 image produces a lot of stair-stepping and artifacts, esp. if there's any movement in the frame.

phb
Old November 9th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #10

Of course the temporal resolution of the Canon GL-2 is higher because the S80 only shoots 15 frames per secound. But the spatial resolution of the Canon S80 is higher than the GL-2. The pixel count of the S80 is 786,000 pixels while the GL-2 is only 345,000. So the Canon S80 has more than twice the spatial resolution.
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #11
Trustee

I do not know the specifics of your camera, but histograms basically tell you the distribution of the light. Generally, the goal is to avoid clipping--having a large number of pixels that are completely black, or white. This happens when the contrast or the saturation is too high.

I think you will find that the article I referenced is still relevant.
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
The pixel count of the S80 is 786,000 pixels while the GL-2 is only 345,000. So the Canon S80 has more than twice the spatial resolution.
There's *so* much more to the equation than "spatial resolution," Tommy. Counting pixels is next to meaningless. Video from the PowerShot S80 is much more heavily compressed than video from the GL2, and besides, the GL2 is first and foremost a video camcorder, with among other things a much larger lens using fluorite elements, so of course it's going to produce better video. But this is all academic and nearly pointless (with sincere apologies to Paul and Emre for the momentary thread hijack).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #13
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bravmann
i recently purchased the canon powershot S80, plan to use it to capture stills (and maybe crude motion clips) for use in a DV project that i'm mostly shooting with my GL2. my question: i'd like to get a better handle on this new camera's advanced features. anybody know of a forum along the lines of dvinfo.net where i could gather some quality still camera tips and tricks?

thanks,
phb
Paul,
I picked up an S70 early this past summer as a camera to carry when I don't want to carry a camera. It's really been a terrific camera. The S80 seems to have a more refined industrial design, although its lack of RAW support makes it just a bit less appealing to me personally.

But as to your question...

The more prominent sites, such as Fred Miranda and Rob Galbraith, deal mainly in dslr gear lust chatter. Phil Askey's Digital Photography Review has some forums with broader topics (see: "Canon Talk") that might lead to your destination.

But basically the best teachers for these cameras are the manual and some dedicated experimentation. Work through some settings, pull the images into Photoshop and pay close attention to the EXIF information embedded in each image. It's a terrific instructor that faithfully records when and how you took each image.

Have fun with that S80!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
In my humble experience, the worst miniDV camera produces better video than the movie mode on the best still camera.
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

dpreview.com

dpreview.com has a great site and they just did an in depth review of the S80. I also think the reviews they provide are better than the manuals in a lot of cases. I was disappointed that they got rid of the raw feature, but it's just been disabled and they might bring it back in a firmware update. Great camera though.
Brian Sargent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy