pbase or flickr? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old March 31st, 2006, 07:47 AM   #1
Major Player

pbase or flickr?

If you host on either what made you choose the one you did for your photos?

I have been using pbase.com for several years now. I like it alot, but I noticed flickr has some different, interesting options. But overall I'm not really a fan of the interface and the constant default style for all the pages. But it seems like it's a pretty powerful system just like pbase and it sems like those who use it are pretty happy with it. It seems to be the rage among all the blogging/design people. But yet I also see a lot of good photographers using pbase.
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Trustee

pbase is so yesterday. flickr is notable for having an API, so all sorts of wonderful third-party tools exist. For example, I use one to integrate my flickr gallery with my Wordpress blog. I just enter a few keywords to filter the pictures from my gallery, and I can insert the ones I want. There are other interesting features too, but the short of it is that flickr is a pleasure to use.

One bad thing about flickr is that the free account only allows you to create three folders/galleries.

Last edited by Emre Safak; March 31st, 2006 at 05:26 PM.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Auto - "delete"

Flickr...when you reach 200 photos and upload more, it will automatically "eat away" at the back end of what you first uploaded first. If you have a link to the URL it will still be hosted but not shown in the gallery. But I love the uploadr - verry cool.
Daniel Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Although Flickr is home town based, I much prefer the feel and look of pbase.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 01:24 PM   #5
Air China Pilot

I got on the Flickr in the last two weeks and I really like the interface and the controls. The uploader app is indeed cool. I can drag and drop from Picasa, for example, right onto it.

Frank what do you mean about Flickr being home-town based? From what I've seen you can organize / share according to any kind of tag.
Old April 1st, 2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Outer Circle

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that Flickr was developed in Vancouver.
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:51 AM   #7
Outer Circle

...and Flickr is sooo slow compared with pbase. Pbase rocks!
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:15 AM   #8
Air China Pilot

Frank, you're right about it being home-town based. Or rather, the guy who created it is a Vancouverrite. Who knows what happened after they got popular.
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:26 AM   #9
Wrangler

maybe someone can help me out here. i'm experimenting with both flickr and pbase. flickr assigned me a home name of http://www.flickr.com/photos/96299896@N00/ which i hate. is there any way to change this?

pbase, by contrast, gave me the more manageable and biz-card friendly:

http://www.pbase.com/planeteproductions

so i'm leaning towards paying the $24, just to get a better-looking name. unless someone can tell me, is there a way to customize my flickr root gallery name?

thanks!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:00 AM   #10
Trustee

Meryem, go to your account settings: http://flickr.com/profile_edit.gne
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM   #11
Wrangler

thanks, emre. that's more like it.

having tried both of these, i think i'm going with flickr. i like the look of pbase better, just because it looks more professional, less amateurish. and it is easier to organize photos in the unlimited gallery structure. but y'all are right that the flickr toolset is pretty nice. and free is a hard price to beat. i'm amazed at how much space they give you. pretty cool.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy