when will digital be better? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old June 28th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #16
New Boot

Hi John,

If the person using the digital camera knows what he is doing, and one makes prints of both the digital and the slide photograph, I doubt whether any pro will be able to spot the differance.

I only recently switched over to digital, but I am happy I made the move and will not go back to film again.

I still have one film camera though, that I use every now and then just to dicipline myself. I don't want to get into the habbit of just clicking away without thinking, ending up with 100 pix of the same thing!
Pieter Saayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeLuca
This is an interesting topic I discussed with my lab owner many, many times over. A quality slide and high end scanner will hold more color gradation and saturation than digital. Slides will not "blob up" colors/saturation like the D2x's color mode 3 for example.
Used Velvia lately?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #18
Major Player

I don't shoot film anymore myself (15+years of experience with 35, and medium format). Velvia is like the D2X's color mode 3. Capturing the full range of color/saturation gradation in camera will always be better than adding dirty water in post. I’m alittle shocked you haven’t seen digital clip colors/saturation the same way it clips highlights.

-John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #19
Air China Pilot

Exposure

Anyone use this?

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.html

Quote:
Exposure brings the look and feel of film to digital photography. Simulate the warmth and softness of real world film, both color and black and white. Reproduce realistic film grain, and simplify your digital photography workflow.

You can now digitally simulate the vivid colors of Velvia(r), the rich blacks of Kodachrome(r), the sensitivity of Ektachrome(r), and the characteristics of dozens of other film stocks. Exposure also models the size, shape, and color of real world film grain. Use this level of subtle reproduction to simulate the distinct looks of films such as Ilford(r) 3200 Delta and long discontinued Ektachrome EES and GAF(r) 500.
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #20
Major Player

I don’t see how software can simulate films color gradation if you don’t record the color gradation in camera. This would be another example of adding "dirty water" with software. Blowing out color gradation is just like blowing hightlights.......if you dont record it, you can never get it back. It’s sad that most photographers have a "good enough" attitude when it comes to art photography.

-John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:20 PM   #21
Major Player

There are a number of photoshop actions available for free that do a good job of simulating film .Do a google . That said , I love my new epson v700 with my 6x6 negs. It's another tool in the shed. And then , what's great about the photography revolution is you can apply those same ps actions to film to make it look more like film than just film ! Oh yea , the thread. If you want to compare film to digital look here :

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...-testing.shtml

Any photographer knows that digital is cleaner but there's just something about film that appeals to the eye. The problem is , it (film) is on the downside of a fast halflife. But until that day comes , I'll use both . Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy