High-quality Telextender for 7MP and Higher Cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old September 8th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #1
Major Player

High-quality Telextender for 7MP and Higher Cameras?

How adequate are the available telextender lenses for matching the image sharpness of MegaPixel cameras that have 7MP and above? I'm considering buying a Sony DSC-H5 (7.3MP/12X zoom/58mm lens thread), to carry in my bag, when I'm out using a camcorder. Sony offers a telex for this camera, the VCL-DH1758 (list:$149., B&H price:$114.). They say it's rated for HD use, but the low price makes me wonder. It has a plastic body and is fairly lightweight. I could use the Sony telex I already have for SD video (the VCL-HG1758). But, it has a steel body and is heavy. Also, I doubt it has enough resolution for high-MP images. However, it cost me $370. If an SD video lens of the same size and X-power costs this much, how can an HD-capable lens be priced at less than 1/3 the amount? If anyone has had experience using any telexes with high-MP cameras and specifically the VCL-DH1758, I'd appreciate hearing about the results. Any comments about the DSC-H5 camera would also be helpful.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Raynox makes some sharp tele and wide adaptors. Sony makes good ones, though it's another company that makes them for Sony's miniDV cams. I don't know anything about their still line of adaptors.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Raynox 2.2X Telextender

Today, I put a Raynox 2.2X telex on my Olympus C-2100UZ. It worked surprisingly well and seems adequate to support a moderately high-resolution camera. Raynox claims it has 260 dot-per-millimeter resolution at lens center and they have it listed as suitable for HD video cameras on their website. The images I got with the C-2100UZ's 10X zoom, plus the 2.2X magnification, were as sharp as without the telex and the autofocus still worked. It didn't cause vignetting that extends to such a high point in the zoom as it does with my Sony VX2100 videocamera. The upper 35% of the zoom range was free of dark corners with the Olympus. But, the C-2100UZ has 2.1 MegaPixels and it remains to be determined if the Raynox has enough resolution to support a camera with 7 MP. Raynox has another HD telex on their website that they rate at 340 dot-per-millimeter resolution, so I will look into that as a possibility.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy