Just joined the D80 club at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 20th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Wrangler

Just joined the D80 club

Well I got tired of reading about DSLR's, so today I took the big plunge and got a D80. My CoolPix 5700 is definitely dead, and I need to shoot performances in about a month so I need some time to get used to a new camera.

The only lens I got was the Nikkor 14mm f2.8 ED AF (I was feeling pretty broke after that :-) I'm a big fan of wide angle lenses, but this is the first really high quality one that I've owned. Wow... haven't really had time to play with it yet, but it looks great.

I quickly tried the really old lenses from my Nikon F days... a 50mm F2 Nikkor, a 28-80mm f3.5 Vivitar zoom and an 18mm f3.2 Spiratone. They all seem to work fine in manual mode... the 50mm feels a little tight putting it on the camera, not sure I like that. I used to have a big telephoto *somewhere* but haven't been able to find it yet...

As a bonus, I realized that the Cokin P series filters from my VX-2000 also fit the Vivitar lens. After I get a sense of which focal lengths are most useful I'll probably get a couple more Nikon primes, but I don't feel the need to rush.

After owning 3 different models of the CoolPix since 1999, the D80 has a familiar feel to it which I like. But I'm going to have to get used to a big, heavy SLR with a noisy mirror again!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Congratulations, Boyd! Welcome to the world of top-notch image quality and expensive Nikon accessories.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Outer Circle

Nikon F lenses were non-AI. Do you use some sort of lens adaptor (which I'm not aware of) for your new F80 or do you have the newer AI lenses? If they're AI, are you going to be selling them? If so, perhaps make a list with condition and price.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
After owning 3 different models of the CoolPix since 1999, the D80 has a familiar feel to it which I like. But I'm going to have to get used to a big, heavy SLR with a noisy mirror again!
Noisy? I know you're kidding Boyd!

I find the sound of the mirror to be very sensuous. It is terrific feedback when you are working. For me...it is lot better then the "beep" and waiting for the camera to be ready to shoot again on my old Coolpix 995. :-)

Congratulations on the new cam!
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd, smart purchase!

I think Nikon is finally getting their DSLR strategy right. The D80 is a camera that should cost more. Even though reviewers seem to compare it to Canon's EOS 400D and Sony's new Alpha, it's features and functional use really compare better to Canon's D30.

And, I love the images the D80 produces, even the "grain" at higher ISOs.

If you find yourself stuck for a a decent lense but don't want to spend a whole lot more money, check out the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC. There may be sample variation, but it's proving to be a very sharp lense in a smaller package, at less than half the price of comparable Nkon and Canon lenses. It's designed for cropped sensors.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Wrangler

Thanks guys!

John - I agree, just playing with the D80 for awhile I realized how much I had missed that mirror sound. My only issue is that I won't be able to use it to shoot pictures during our performances like I sometimes did with my CoolPix, but that situation doesn't happen a lot and I can probably get by with my little Canon SD400 when it does. I started with a CoolPix 900, then upgraded to a 950 a couple years later. In a way, I miss those cameras. They were really terrific in their day and had a great form factor. The 5700 served me well for a long time too, but something seems blown in the CCD now - everything looks like a big smear. I tried resetting it, changing batteries, etc... but really, I'll admit I was looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway :-)

Frank, those lenses are all the old kind with no auto features. I want to just play around with them and see how useful they are on the new camera. I still have and old Nikkormat FTN and a broken Nikkormat FT. But my favorite camera back in the late 1960's/early 70's was a Nikon F with the big "Photomic" finder. Heh, that went to a pawn shop when I was in college and it never came home.

When I was browsing through a camera store yesterday I saw a used Nikon F for $89 and had to resist the urge to buy it, since I know I would never really use it. I don't know why, but there's something about the look and feel of those old Nikons that really appeals to me. Probably goes back to when I saw the movie Blow Up in the 60's and got the idea I would be cool if I had a Nikon like David Hemmings ;-) BTW, that movie was recently released on DVD and it is a real classic if you haven't seen it. Captures the whole feeling of that period really well.

I inherited a big box full of old cameras - some of them are real antiques. My Dad's hobby was looking for old cameras in junk stores whenever he went on a business trip somewhere. Then he would tinker around with them and try to fix. Really, I'm just hanging onto them for sentimental values. Maybe someday I'll decide get rid of them though, and you can be sure that DVInfo members will have the first shot. But I have no idea what condition they're in, and don't have the inclination to investigate at the moment.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM   #7
New Boot

congrats :) its a sweet camera. Im more a canon boy myself but the 80 and 200 are exceptional models. Be careful with filters, I got plenty and ended up ditching virtually all of them. A couple of nd's and nd grads and a cpl are all I found I ever needed and I rarely use those. Outside of landscape shots I dont use any besides an IV filter if I think theres a chance of the lens picking up a scratch.
Have fun and looking forward to seeing some of your shots. Im a telephoto junkie myself so it would be great to see what the 14mm can do.
Richard Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:23 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
The 5700 served me well for a long time too, but something seems blown in the CCD now - everything looks like a big smear. I tried resetting it, changing batteries, etc... but really, I'll admit I was looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway :-)
Boyd, in October 2005, Nikon issued a service advisory for some of their compacts with defective CCDs. The Nikon Coolpix 5700 were among the cameras effected by this.
You can read more about it and download the service form here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...kon_comccd.asp
Best of luck with it
and happy shooting with the D80
:)
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Wrangler

Actually that crossed my mind because we've discussed that issue here. Perhaps that is what's wrong with my 5700, should check it out - thanks for reminding me. But anyway, I'm glad I made the DSLR jump :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy