DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   low light film? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/88175-low-light-film.html)

George Chapanian March 5th, 2007 01:06 PM

low light film?

hi evryone its me agian,im going to take photos at a concert with 35mm slr.which film would you recomend,is digital better.thank you

John DeLuca March 5th, 2007 11:33 PM

You could try Kodak portra 800 or vc 400. Use a fast lens like F2.8 and prop the camera on something solid so you can drag the shutter a bit.

Frank Granovski March 6th, 2007 02:14 AM

Kodak portra 800 - excellent fast film. A bit pricey in these parts.

Peter Jefferson March 6th, 2007 08:59 AM

if ur shooting digital, u can always mess with your ISO settings, i know the 5d can pull off super clean 1200 to 1600 ISO settings with next to no noise... up to 3200 in fact, but going that far does get ugly..

Frank Granovski March 9th, 2007 05:51 AM

Yeah..., digital; and then there's the 5D!

Gareth Watkins March 9th, 2007 06:00 AM

Hi there

When I was shooting stills professionally uptil 2000, 99% of the photogs in Paris used Fuji.. better colours, better grain...better film than Kodak...(Not talking Kodachrome 25 etc here)

For a concert if you shoot colour neg, you can go for upto 800 ISO and get remarkabley good results... It was our favourite low light film... can be underexposed by a stop and still give good results... in fact when hand dev'ing I've pushed it to 3200 for night soccer and had usable pictures.

If you shoot transparency, its a more delicate affair.. the fast tranny films are not great.. In fact most of my mates in the Stock and magazine agencies switched to colour neg if they had to use over 100 ISO film.. although some prefered to push the 100 ASA two stops rather than use 400ASA out of the box...

With the advent of digital I doubt much advancement has gone on in the film stock world so I'd think my experiences with film stock here should still be valid.

Hope this helps

Gareth

Frank Granovski March 9th, 2007 11:37 PM

I always found Fuji film heavy on the greens.

Best carp and channal cat fishing? The Red River. ;-)

Gareth Watkins March 10th, 2007 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Granovski (Post 639158)
I always found Fuji film heavy on the greens.

Best carp and channal cat fishing? The Red River. ;-)

Maybe Fuji is a bit greener, but I always found it had richer colours, Kodak was always bluer and grainier... Photoshop is great... None of the Paris Agencies I worked for or with ever used Kodak... we went from Ilford HP5 to Fuji Colour...The Kodak rep was always trying to get us to switch...

The Red River Eh???? Better than the Ebro in Spain??? I can feel another video coming on!!! LOL!!

Frank Granovski March 10th, 2007 05:06 AM

Not only the Red, but the Assiniboine also. The Assiniboine flows into the Red. For Goldeye, Mooneye and the big suckers called, sturgeon, the Winnipeg River's the place.

John DeLuca March 11th, 2007 02:56 PM

When it comes to Kodak paper and film vs Fuji paper and film, it really depends on what your shooting. If I was shooting something with skin or primarily cool colors I would go with Fuji film and paper. If I was shooting something with primarily warm colors I would go with Kodak film and paper.

Frank Granovski March 12th, 2007 06:18 PM

The bottom line is that both companies make an assortment of film geared for different tastes and needs.