New 10.2mp D40x from Nikon at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old March 5th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Major Player

New 10.2mp D40x from Nikon

10.2mp, 3fps, $800 with 18-55 kit lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40x/
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #2
Major Player

This has some people pissed.
Isn't the D40 the shortest lived DSLR ever?
A few months, and suddenly an upgrade.
hmmmm
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mason View Post
This has some people pissed.
Isn't the D40 the shortest lived DSLR ever?
A few months, and suddenly an upgrade.
hmmmm
Why? It's still $200 cheaper than this newer version. And frankly 6MP is more than enough for 99% of photos being printed.

I didn't read the whole article, but I didn't read that the D40 was being replaced with this model. The D40 would still make a good entry level DSLR if you can live with the fact that it can only use AF-S and AF-I lenses.
Dan Aragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Major Player

There are people who are upset because they feel the choice between 6 and 10 MP should have been made available at the beginning.
Even though megapixels aren't what really make a camera, it can still be the deciding factor, particularly in this class of cameras where amateurs are still easily persuaded by the MP count - given the lack of other features.
I have a D80, so I'm not sweating it at all.
But I still understand how this announcement may not sit well with some Nikon users, particularly the consumer base.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I would agree if the D40X was replacing the D40, or if the price was the same, but it's not. The D40 will still be sold and the 10mp option will cost an extra $200. It's like getting mad that your 4 cylinder car now comes with a V6 when you had other V6s to choose from.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Wrangler

Every time a new camera or computer comes out the people who just bought the previous model are upset. Such is the way of the world. Just make sure you buy a product that meets all your needs initially. It will continue to work like it did when you bought it, regardless of what new cool thing comes along next. You'll drive yourself crazy if you let this stuff bother you. Instead, concentrate on using your existing tools to create something.

Personally, I also just bought a D80 and this doesn't change the landscape for me at all. I would still choose it over the D40x...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

We're forgetting the time factor. When a company upgrades a product in such a short period of time, the existing consumer base feels that they have been hoodwinked.

The 10 MP is in probably more a downgrade for all but the most exacting pictures, but that isn't what most consumers think. They want more pixels over focusing and noise because they believe that those issues are not made worse by increasing the pixel count.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Trustee

If the rumor is true, Canon might release the 40D, which would also be quick. Besides the 30D allegedly being replaced, I would love the Nikon D200 being replaced. Now that’s a camera that definitely needs replacing.

As for the Nikon D80, I don’t think it will be replaced for at least a few months at the earliest, I mean, It’s still fairly brand new.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
As for the Nikon D80, I don’t think it will be replaced for at least a few months at the earliest, I mean, It’s still fairly brand new.
According to DPreview, the D40 was announced in Nov 2006, which is 3 months after the the D80 (Aug 2006)...
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
According to DPreview, the D40 was announced in Nov 2006, which is 3 months after the the D80 (Aug 2006)...
That’s odd; I didn’t realize the D40 was that new.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #11
Wrangler

The D40 is pretty new.... I went on a trip this weekend and picked up the March issue of Popular Photography at the airport news stand to pass the time. They just now published a review of the D40: http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3756...nikon-d40.html
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yeah, but again, the D40 is not being replaced. The D40X is just another option in the lineup.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

I'd like to go with a D40 (the $600 one), but I would prefer buying something with more features, etc., like a Rebel XT or XTI, or a D80. Buy a little more than I need, so I can grow into it. I'm learning this as I save up for my first DSLR.

heath
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #14
Trustee

Based on the choice of d40 and d40x, I selected d40 for the price ;-)
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy