D40 or D40x? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old May 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

D40 or D40x?

Aside from faster fps in the D40x (3 vs. 2.5) and 4 more megapixels, is the D40x really worth it for the extra $200? I can more accessories, but if I really need the extra mp, then I guess so.

Ken Rockwell's site is my new favorite destination, and he discusses the D40 and the D40x, along with The the megapixel myth.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

heath
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

I decided to get the D80 instead of the D40 for several reasons, but that was before the D40x came along. Can you buy a D40 or D40x body only? I wanted to pick and choose a variety of odd lenses and don't care much for the cheap "kit" lenses they offer. I suppose I would go with the D40x over the D40 if given that choice. But how much more is the D80?

I would still pick the D80 over the D40x however. Among other things, the D40 series doesn't have a focus motor and that limits autofocus ability to a smaller number of lenses. It also doesn't have the little LCD screen on the top of the camera which I find really handy for looking at the settings. Outside in the full sun I find it difficult to see those numbers in the viewfinder, especially when wearing sunglasses. The D40 series also lacks a depth of field preview button.

The D40 series uses different batteries too. Don't know anything about those, but the D80 batteries seem to last forever. I have two but haven't ever needed to change them during several hours of shooting.

But they are all nice cameras IMO, so pick the one which best fits your budget and don't look back!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

I think my budget is tight, so it'll likely be the D40.

Thanks!

heath
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Heath for the price the D40 will be a very nice camera. You can't go wrong with the Nikons,,,IMHO. Last year I bought the D200. Man it takes nice pictures.

I was looking at the D40 at Best Buy the other day and it looks like it is built well.

Boyd my other two Nikons camera D70s and the D100, the batteries last a long time. But the D200 is not as good. I think it is just the bigger LCD screen. Evertime you check your picture and turn on the screen just drains the battery. I have three so it never is a problem.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I've heard the D200's batteries run down, too; must be the power in that baby! (wink)

heath
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #6
Outer Circle

This one's funny but very true: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

yeah, I saw that, too. Ken's awesome and I love his site!

heath
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

I'm actually using a D40x right now and will likely go with that one. If I had received a D40, I would stick with that. It's very cool! Pictures coming soon, but be kind. These are my firsts!

heath
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #9
Major Player

One other difference...

besides the extra MP...the D40X has a lower ISO rating (100 thru 1600) while the D40 is 200 thru 1600. Not necessarily a major difference, and probably not important to everyone, but a difference nonetheless. I just got the 40X day before yesterday (my first digital SLR) and our "relationship" is just starting out.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

The flash sync speed is 1/250 compared to the D40's 1/500, which I suppose isn't as great. But I love the D40x!

heath
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko View Post
besides the extra MP...the D40X has a lower ISO rating (100 thru 1600) while the D40 is 200 thru 1600.
D40's ISO goes from 200 to 3,200. Nikon code-names ISO 3,200 as "HI 1" to scare amateurs away from using it, because these same amateurs would clog up Nikon's (800) NIKON-UX support lines complaining about grainy photos.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #12
Major Player

Leigh,

Your photos have inspired me to upgrade from my Sony DSC V1 to a Nikon D40 or D40X. Which lens are you using? Also, has the D50 been discontinued? B&H does not seem to stock them.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson View Post
Leigh,

Your photos have inspired me to upgrade from my Sony DSC V1 to a Nikon D40 or D40X. Which lens are you using? Also, has the D50 been discontinued? B&H does not seem to stock them.
D50 is history. Either the D40 or D40x will be fine. For the same price as a D40x, you can buy the D40 kit with some extra goodies, including the 55-200 mm lens at www.ritzcamera.com and others.

heath
Old July 12th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson View Post
Leigh,

Thanks

The lens I am using is this one http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #15
Major Player

"Nikon code-names ISO 3,200 as "HI 1"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Wanstead View Post
... to scare amateurs away from using it, because these same amateurs would clog up Nikon's (800) NIKON-UX support lines complaining about grainy photos.
The owner's manual points that out: HI 1 is "an ISO equivalent of roughly 3200." Important safety tip, though my first inclination after getting grainy photos would be that I hadn't used the camera correctly. I'd certainly analyze my settings and re-read the manual before rushing to use an 800 number and asking a weary rep to repeat an answer they may have given hundreds of times to others. That would be my last resort.

Do so many owners rush to have their hand "held" that they really clog phone lines before consulting the docs that come with the item?

Out of curiosity, how often do folks here call a manufacturer's 800 number for tech help?
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy