Switching a live HDMI video stream between 4 cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Switching a live HDMI video stream between 4 cameras?

Hi,
Anyone know if there is a low cost switch that lets me take live video from 4 streaming HDV video cameras via an HDMI connection, and chose one to output out to a recorder? My need is to switch between any one of 4 cameras, like producing a live TV show, choosing one camera to be recorded at a time in real time.
The switch between sources has to be without glitches (in sync) -- no dropped frames or interference or delays visible.
Any ideas?
(I don't have a USB or Firewire live feed from the cameras, only an HDMI)
Jonathan
Jonathan Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Do the cameras have component output?
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The only switchers I've seen are HD-SDI or component, and not all can handle an HD format. Be prepared to cough up a lot of dough. I haven't seen any that work with HDMI.

So since the operative words are "low-cost" and "HDMI," I think the answer may be no.

Not that this is exactly relevant, but what kind of cams do you have that have neither FW nor USB? Not that either would work with a switcher, but I'm curious. Unless you mean your cams have one or the other of these outputs but you can't get a live feed from them, which makes sense for USB, but FW should give you live output no problem.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Blackmagic Designs makes an HDMI card and software that allows you to switch between two HDMI cameras if you have two cards installed in your computer. 4 HDMI cameras? Haven't seen a switcher that can do that yet.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:36 PM   #5
New Boot

Marantz makes a $349 remote controlled switch with 4 HDMI inputs to one HDMI output but their tech support replies that it is not glitch free; there is a lag when switching. Marantz America | VS3002 HDMI 1.3a Switcher is the product link.

Still looking for a solution. HDMI is not easy to deal with. Wish the cameras did have component output that would be easier.
Jonathan Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Beacher View Post
Hi,
Anyone know if there is a low cost switch that lets me take live video from 4 streaming HDV video cameras via an HDMI connection, and chose one to output out to a recorder? My need is to switch between any one of 4 cameras, like producing a live TV show, choosing one camera to be recorded at a time in real time.
The switch between sources has to be without glitches (in sync) -- no dropped frames or interference or delays visible.
Any ideas?
(I don't have a USB or Firewire live feed from the cameras, only an HDMI)
Jonathan
One option is to get 4 of the HDMI to HDSDI converter, then you should be able to connect 4 camera to a switcher such as: Sony Anycast station, or panasonic AV-HS300G or AV-HS400N which as frame synchronizer.
Belinda Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Tourist

I have the same question

I have a canon HG10 with a mini HDMI output. I was hoping (since this is the cheapest full HD camera out there) that I could hook up about four of them around in my church and record services and special productions. Here is my idea of a setup:

pan-tilt units are readily available for about 150$
the cameras are about 450$ right now. All I would need is a power supply

my plan was to use blackmagic converter

(http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/miniconverters/)

to go from HDMI to HD-SDI (495$ each)
then feed each camera into a separate monitor. Such as

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/402108-REG/Marshall_V_R44P_DVI_V_R44P_DVI_Quad_3_5_Inch_LCD.html)
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/205260-REG/Marshall_V_R25P_V_R25P_10x_2_5_LCD.html)

then all of these monitors would feed into the HD-SDI switcher that I saw. (700$)

(http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5528)

it says "instant" and " no glitches" so i guess it would work.

then this signal would have to go into a HD-SDI recorder or use the opposite Blackmagic type of converter for use with a HDMI recorder. (Possibly a Blu-ray player with HDMI in or something like that) I am thinking about a Mac Pro with a Blackmagic intensity card.

(http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/)

So the problem in my mind is not the switcher…but the camera. Im my system, I can switch the HDMI cameras for HD-SDI cameras like canon’s pro-sumer models. I might have to do this for another reason. My camera, no matter how many times I push the “display” button has a green “pause” sign or a red “record” sign showing at the top right-hand corner of the screen. I am concerned that the HDMI cable will transmit this annoying thing and I will have to record it to my final video. The only way to get around this on my camera is to record to the camera’s internal media (HDD) and then record a playback in 1x time after the event. (Time consuming)

Unless you can figure out a list of cameras that can turn off the red “recording” dot then I think you will have to forget about using HDMI cameras to record live events.

Btw. I asked costumer support at blackmagic design how they were able to use HDMI cameras to make their Intensity recording suite work but they never responded to my question.

Have a great day.
Jon k.
Everywhere you go, preach Christ…if necessary, use words—St. Francis
Jonathan Krape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #8
Tourist

bad information...please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Krape View Post

it says "instant" and " no glitches" so i guess it would work.
actually i finally got a reply back from Gefen...the switcher is instant but is not suitable for live video switching. i also asked a rep. at B and H and at some other pretty big store (i forget which one now) and they all said that they didn't have anything that would fill our bill. i guess that sort of "bombs" my plans and you all are back where you started...i would like to see a review of the switcher and see how slow it actually is.

i don't know how to delete posts so i am amending this one

Jon k.
Everywhere you go, preach Christ…if necessary, use words—St. Francis
Jonathan Krape is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View