A real live lesson on why you don't stream with WiFi or 4G cellular - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old November 5th, 2016, 01:39 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: A real live lesson on why you don't stream with WiFi or 4G cellular

I was at a fatal house fire scene yesterday, and when the live trucks arrived and 3-5 cellular backpacks powered up, my computers FTP upload speed slowed to around 25KB/s! I have the latest LTE Advanced carrier aggravation (hehe) so I get typically 60-80Mbps DL/25-25Mbps UL in the same area, but when those 10Mbps bonded systems light up the local tower, all bets are off. I don't know how much overhead it takes to maintain a 10Mbps bonded stream from 6-8 modems, from 3-5 systems, but must be a lot.

I use standard MPEG-TS streaming out of JVC and Sony camcorders for off air station streaming from the field, and even with a 25-30Mbps LTE connection, I can and do get pretty bad image lock and freeze if I pan around.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 04:24 AM   #17
Equal Opportunity Offender

So how did you get your footage out in the end?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Interesting as that would be live news so one would need to get it out pronto. I damaged my HDMI port on my camera with a stupid microHDMI cable a few weeks ago just an hour before a wedding ceremony and all I could do was record to card, then rush back to the office and upload the files to my CDN ..but of course that became a delayed broadcast (it was about 1.5 hours late) It's a tough situation!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Depending on the area... in San Jose, California. I used Verizon MIFI 4G LTE and was able to Live Streaming at 720P (H.264 codec) to youtube for couple events. (no internet wire available).
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 02:13 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Dajero, TVu, LiveU all use telco 4g,3g dongles to send data down the path of least resistance. You need a bonding router or software at the other end to put all that data back together. You can vary the bit rate and adjust the delay of your feed. So if you are in an area were cell use is limited you can use a 20 second say delay, cache your feed at a lower bit rate and enhance your chance of the signal being sent. I'm not sure if you can use these devices for streaming to youtube etc because of the software require to piece the signal back together. They usually cost somewhere between $20-$35k depending on what you get. There are devices from Teradek that you can go straight to internet with.
Phil Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 03:14 AM   #21
Regular Crew

On Teradek VidiU Pro with subscription to Sharelink ($19.9/mth) to bond multi internet connections, up to 4 iphone to support the bandwidth on top of wire or wifi.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View