What Gear does Everyone use to Broadcast - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old September 5th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: What Gear does Everyone use to Broadcast

I use a C100 and a Vidiu Pro. The Vidiu app is very buggy for me, but the unit works well though a web browser.
My backup is a Macbook Pro running OBS connected through a Black Magic Mini Recorder.

Last edited by Kevin Walsh; September 5th, 2016 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #17
New Boot

I've done a few things at work, mostly testing, but we've done a handful of events
We have a Matrox Monarch and have had a few different hdmi cameras into it, nothing particularly fancy though.

I've also played around with OBS with various USB cameras - webcams and higher end Vaddio and Logitech PTZ cameras. OBS is getting pretty neat. OBS Studio seems to be getting there as far as usefulness goes

Generally we've tested streaming out to youtube, or locally with the matrox to VLC for overflow rooms
The advantage I have at work is we have really good internet, unlike the rest of the country.

I'm really interested in trying my hand at streaming more.
What do most Aussies do for streaming? Do you rely on 4g data, with most locations access to internet means ADSL with crappy upload speeds?
Also, do you have multiple connections with different telecos, go with one particular network, or have you worked out a way to do something along the line of bonded networking without forking out a looooot of money?
Matthew Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 12:39 AM   #18
Equal Opportunity Offender

Book an event at a hotel or other venue which already has a very nice amount of bandwidth. :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Matthew

Unless they are on the NBN, any venue with ADSL2 still has a physical upload limit of 1mbps upload so unless you are happy with a poor quality 480P that will only be looked at on a phone You really need an upload connection 50% higher than the speed you want to broadcast and 500kbps isn't exactly great.

If you are using a venue be sure to do a test a week before so you know it's a dedicated connection and it will work on the day!!

We use a 4GX wifi modem and get a minimum of 10mbps upload from Telstra so we can safely stream out HD at anything up to 5 or 6 mbps with no issues. However it IS more expensive than using a venue's connection as long as there are no tech issues as most venues have offsite tech support. Our 4G costs us $10 per GB which we simply add to our package costs. We also have an antenna stand which elevates the Omni MIMO antenna unit and does help matters in rural areas.

Our Livestream Studio software or even our simple Broadcaster Pro units also can be setup for bonding at no extra cost apart from a 2nd wifi unit
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #20
Major Player

Used the ATEM Television studio and now the Datavideo HS-1200. Mix in 3 or 4 cameras (Canon XF-305) and do graphics and such. This is usually steamed out via Wirecast but sometimes a hardware encoder. Do ~150 live events a year. i stream between my own servers running Wowza and onto the Highwinds CDN when needed.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:19 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Thanks Josh

WOW 150 events a year!!! What do you broadcast mainly?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 02:33 AM   #22
Major Player

Yippee livestreaming straight to YouTube with only x70 and my new Galaxy s7. I am using two apps. Screen Stream Mirroring. And Internal audio. Unfortunately I had to root (Jailbreak) my new phone to get the audio working. That was simple to do following tutorials but I will have lost my warranty. Now I just need to figure out how to share the livestreaming using just the phone. It's simple to do on the phone but not so obvious on the phone.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 03:05 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Thanks Josh

WOW 150 events a year!!! What do you broadcast mainly?
Sports for a college. After that it's random events such as lectures, event webcams, musical performances etc

Events like the one in the demo here: http://www.simplethoughtproductions....deo-streaming/

Last edited by Josh Chesarek; September 24th, 2016 at 06:33 AM.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 02:37 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Matthew

Unless they are on the NBN, any venue with ADSL2 still has a physical upload limit of 1mbps upload so unless you are happy with a poor quality 480P that will only be looked at on a phone You really need an upload connection 50% higher than the speed you want to broadcast and 500kbps isn't exactly great.

If you are using a venue be sure to do a test a week before so you know it's a dedicated connection and it will work on the day!!

We use a 4GX wifi modem and get a minimum of 10mbps upload from Telstra so we can safely stream out HD at anything up to 5 or 6 mbps with no issues. However it IS more expensive than using a venue's connection as long as there are no tech issues as most venues have offsite tech support. Our 4G costs us $10 per GB which we simply add to our package costs. We also have an antenna stand which elevates the Omni MIMO antenna unit and does help matters in rural areas.

Our Livestream Studio software or even our simple Broadcaster Pro units also can be setup for bonding at no extra cost apart from a 2nd wifi unit
Cool, that's about what I expected. Damn ADSL is painful.
I work at a Uni, so internet on campus is crazy fast compared to anywhere else, which is pretty handy for the few times we have done streaming at work.
I guess if one 4g connection has enough bandwidth for HD streaming, bonding is less necessary for speed, but the ability to have multiple connections for redundancy purposes would be handy
Matthew Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 06:29 AM   #25
Regular Crew

It might be obvious, but setting up and streaming from the JVC LS300 is quite strait forward.

Some struggle with setting the combination of format details is the only I have experienced. It is though my private streams and I have not experienced any YT sensuring in my small trials. Quality --I have not yet done enough for any judgement.

Streaming is done 1080/50i from a 25p setting. 720 is adviced - I will try that later - hopefully directly through my iPhone, eventually a 4g router.

FB on the other hand requires a page to get access to the publication tools, as I understand it :
"Create a Page
Give your brand, business or cause a voice on Facebook and connect with the people who matter to you.
It's free to set up. Just choose a Page type to get started."

Since I am not a pro - the need for this is limited at the moment.
Stein Onshus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View