Computer audio in - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old November 12th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Computer audio in

The difference between the UFO202 and the UCA202 or UCA222 is the UFO has a switch to change the input RCA connectors from either phono preamp mode or line level. It also has a turntable ground lug.

The switch on the UCA202 and UCA222 changes the monitor mode for the built-in headphone jack.

Donald, do you need the phonograph preamp function of the UFO?

Last edited by Jay Massengill; November 13th, 2016 at 12:07 AM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Dunno about Donald but all I really need for simple seminars is two XLR mic channels for my receivers. Any music sources can actually reside on the computer drive ..the big issue was getting a decent mixer SB interface back into the computer so the crappy sound card is bypassed. I'm using Livestream Studio so if I do an event that requires a remote camera away from the desk I can actually use my broadcaster on a HDMI camera which allows me wireless connection back to the desk .. in rare cases I can actually stream the camera back to their server and then bring it back into the computer as an event mic. We do have an interview mode too when we can bring a remote cam in from anywhere worldwide ... but for a single cam remote the Livestream Broadcaster unit that sits on the camera works very well whithout needing a "receiver" My mixer is the Q1202USB 8 channels plus 4 XLR mic channels (there are TRS line channels on each of the first 4 XLR's as well but you have to use one or the other. What would one need a Phono preamp for Jay ???
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #18
Trustee

Maybe Donald is webcasting vinyl records!?

Chris, have you considered using a small recorder that has USB interface capability as the USB link between your simple on-camera style mixer and the computer for cases when you can't use your new USB full mixer?

Some recorders have this ability, some don't. However, it would be a simple way to use your simple mixer, gaining backup recording capability and without buying an interface device that duplicates the XLR mic inputs you already have. The mini plug output of your simple mixer would connect to the stereo mini mic input of the recorder, then activate USB interface mode on the recorder after linking it to the computer.

I'm not sure which recorders other than the Zooms have this ability without doing some searching, and there are nice two-XLR mic interfaces that are lower cost than small recorders. However, it was an idea that has occurred to me while thinking of how to solve this with the smallest set of equipment.

Lastly, you could just try one of the better reviewed ultra-simple USB interfaces from Amazon. The medium priced ones with some extra features are cheap even with Prime, and thousands say they sound good. The one I tested was 5 years ago and maybe was defective.
All these devices have a "stereo" mic jack wiring because that's what will be plugged into them, but they really aren't stereo to allow you to keep your two XLR mics separated. Some people report being able to use two of these USB devices simultaneously in software, then you'd need a Y-cable to go from your camera-style XLR mixer to two of the simple USB devices.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 09:21 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Jay

The current mixer will work pretty well I think and the extra XLR channels could be very useful for desk feeds or remote handheld mics. The only occasional remote situation I have is wedding ceremonies out in a park and with those I usually don't have to worry about on screen graphics ..it's just a straight record of the 20 minute ceremony so I use an HDMI camera and my LiveStream Broadcaster which sends the video directly to the CDN server ..no switching and no edits ...If I have to use the software I can also set up a remote camera and pull it into the software and broadcast from that too. My current setup with the mixer and computer is designed for venue streaming where we always have power but I can also use the HDMI cam and broadcaster into the software if I need to move away from the mixing setup.

For those looking at a simple interface I see that Creative Labs make one which might be better than the really cheapie ones.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #20
New Boot

When on the road, audio is sent into an analog console like a Mackie 1202 (usually audio comes already mixed, directly from the sound guy), then sent into our TriCaster 860 Extreme via XLR. The switched video and audio output gets sent over SDI to our streaming computer's Osprey 700HD capture card. This computer then spits out HD and SD streams to our CDN.

When in our studio, we have two desktop computers in our control room that we use for Skype. We use two of the Behringer UPHONO UFO202 boxes. This allows us to set up and mix discreet audio to and from the computers to our Presonus 24-4-2 console. Personally I use one on my PC at home to greatly reduce noise entering my FM transmitter when listening to music around the house.

I hope this helps.

Chris Sebes
Senior Video Editor
MediaMixStudios
Chris Sebes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View