vMix at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old December 12th, 2016, 06:38 AM   #1
Major Player

vMix

Is anyone here using vMix?
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: vMix

Been playing around with a trial to use their Replay system. Way better than anything else I have found so far that doesn't cost $30K
Old December 13th, 2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Have you looked at Wirecast Replay system?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes I have used it since it came out but it doesn't have tags, multi camera iso bumpers for transitions etc.
Old December 14th, 2016, 04:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Looks interesting and nicely priced. I'm using Livestream Studio at the moment and love it .. I wonder if this is better? Can I stream to the Livestream CDN with it ?? LSS is a bit of a CPU hog so a normal laptop isn't usable ..you need a minimum i7 quad at 3.4GB at least to use Livestream Studio ..any used vMix on a standard laptop??
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Check out the Reference Systems | vMix

They list a 4 cam laptop system that I believe others have used successfully. Once I started using multiple cameras I moved to hardware vision mixers like the ATEM and Datavideo HS-1200. I still use Wirecast to display graphics using chroma key on the hdmi out to the mixer
Old December 14th, 2016, 07:46 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Josh

Looks pretty simple so I have to get my head around it. I'm used to LSS and all it's features including the ability to pan crop from a static camera and preset 4 different crop positions per camera too ...guess reading the manual would be a good start to see what it can do?

Much Appreciated
Old December 14th, 2016, 08:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Yeah. They give you a free 60 day trial so go nuts. I am a heavy wirecast user and I know it has similar features and in that case you could make shots all day long and use the same camera and just change it. So depending on the version and its shot limit if any go nuts.
Old December 14th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
Yes I have used it since it came out but it doesn't have tags, multi camera iso bumpers for transitions etc.
Please do describe "tags" and "multi camera iso bumpers." Perhaps this is something I should look at vMix for if I understood these features.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Major Player

Wirecast reply is a replay of whatever is in the program window or stream. If you have 4 cameras coming into the system during an event you want to reply the replay system will only allow you to replay what you had on program. If camera 2 had a better shot the current replay system will not let you replay the feed that was coming in on camera 2. Proper replay systems will have an iso or isolated recording of 1 or more cameras regardless of what was on program for you to chose from after the fact.

tags are simply a method of applying a tag or word to a reply. In Basketball that might be "3pts" for any recorded 3 point shot or "Dunk" or "official" for offical review requests. That way they are easy to recall and you can build highlight reels really fast by asking for shots that have specific tags or you could just go the whole game giving out the best plays a highlight tag so at the end of the night you can have it play back the highlights.

The bumpers are just videos or graphics you have the system automatically play before the highlight to make transitioning in and out easier.
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #11
Inner Circle

To be honest I have played with vMix and it seems to work well but it simply doesn't have the innovative features that I am used to on Livestream Studio. I use the 4 take buttons in LSS quite a lot and it's very useful to be able to pre-frame 4 different shots on each camera and be able to switch to them without touching the camera or physically having to go up to it. As an example at a wedding we can pre-program the main cam with a wide shot of the couple and officiant, a closer shot of just the couple exchanging vows, a close up of the ring exchange and then another closeup of the couple having their first kiss and switch between any take instantly (or with a transition) directly from the computer. Also being able to have our main aisle camera wireless is a big advantage using the Livestream Broadcaster Pro unit.

Admittedly shooting stuff like fast moving sports is another scenario completely and probably needs an operator on each cam!! I do the the fact that I can do a 3 camera shoot each with 4 pre-programmed framing (also adjustable in preview or even in live mode all by myself !
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:25 AM   #12
Major Player

Do you have a video of the interface showing this in use? It sounds like you have a camera setup with a wide shot and then you have a scene or shot that takes said camera and crops and zooms to a certain point. You then have several more shots with different pan & scans. This sounds like what can be done in vmix and wirecast but wanted to make sure I understood.
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks Josh

On the page take a look at virtual camera crop ..they explain it better than I can

https://livestream.com/studio
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:54 AM   #14
Major Player

Yeah you can do this in the other software. I think I like the LiveStream control interface better for this type of thing but it appears it is limited to 4 shots where I could keep going with Wirecast and click between the shot layers as needed.
Old December 15th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #15
Major Player

vMix Basic only cost $65.00. It accepts four inputs with every format. You can use overlays, custom titles, etc.
The damn thing does more than I can list. Lots of tutorials on You Tube and a GREAT forum. I asked who on this forum was using it because I had a problem that was driving me nuts. I posted my problem on the vMix forum and got lots of responses. One of their members suggested that I join him on "Zoom" (cute system and free).
He spent 1 1/2 hours with me solving my problem and teaching me LOTS of vMix capabilities.

Go vMix!
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View