DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Streaming A View (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/)
-   -   For those doing 4G streaming (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/533602-those-doing-4g-streaming.html)

Chris Harding February 17th, 2017 01:15 AM

For those doing 4G streaming

More interesting gear from Netgear for use when streaming video on a 4G network ... This is claimed to be the fastest wifi modem in the world with theoretical speeds up to 1GBps ...it's never going to get anywhere bear that but it might be a nice unit to try..my new mobile plan with our provider includes one of these free so if it's a big improvement over the 4GX wifi units I'll let everyone know.

Gigabit LTE Mobile Media Streaming Travel Router | Nighthawk M1 - MR 1100 NETGEAR Mobile Router

Josh Chesarek February 17th, 2017 10:12 AM

Re: For those doing 4G streaming

Looks like fun, hope to see something that is on more carriers. Looks like it is only out for Telstra at the moment. I use T mobile in the US and would like something like this.

Chris Harding February 19th, 2017 08:39 PM

Hi Josh

The Nighthawk is pretty fast! My ADSL is pathetic 3mbps dowbload and 0.5mbps upload!! On the 4GX I have 50mbps download and 20mbps upload from home and we are in a poor reception area (the router shows only 2 bar signal strength) so for any live stream it's a worthy device to have and I love the new extended 45 metre wifi range which is neat instead of having to put the modem/router in your pocket whenever you have to move around!!

Josh Chesarek February 19th, 2017 08:45 PM

Nice,

My cell phone also provides a much faster upload of around 30mbit if I am in an area that has the latest radio tech which is most places I stream. I am fortunate to have 10mbit up at the house but wish it was faster. I am currently uploading a 8GB video from an event tonight. I just like the idea of having a stand alone device for this along with an Ethernet port to connect it to my switch instead of everything getting on my cell phone hot spot.

Chris Harding February 19th, 2017 10:33 PM

Hey Josh

We have pathetic connections here and people are not that happy even with the optic network as it offers theoretical speeds so a 25mbps download package when congested is often a fraction of that so I have no option to stick with the cell network which is a LOT better!!

BTW: Love your website ..well laid out and very professional and I see you also charge reasonable rates too.

Being a wedding videographer for 25 years I have migrated to live video totally now (got so tired of editing raw footage for days on end) so most of my jobs are weddings and I was surprised that brides were so enthusiastic about the concept but I would like to pick up some more fun events! I have two back to back weddings next weekend so I'll put the new router thru it's paces but I'm still keeping the slightly older 4GX wifi so I can run a bonded network.

Josh Chesarek February 20th, 2017 02:29 PM

Haha, my day job is at a CDN and I deal with Telstra fairly regularly in Australia and I am happy they are not my personal ISP :-D Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy doing mainly doing live events and prefer when I am not trying to manipulate the footage later. Sporting events are awesome for this.

Chris Harding February 21st, 2017 08:19 PM

Hi Josh

Sadly they still have the best 4G network here ..my personal cell is with Vodaphone and areas where I can get a real good 4G signal with Telstra ..my phone turns into a brick!!

Which CDN are you working for?

Josh Chesarek February 21st, 2017 10:34 PM

Highwinds CDN :-)

Miggy Sanchez March 16th, 2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1927879)
More interesting gear from Netgear for use when streaming video on a 4G network ... This is claimed to be the fastest wifi modem in the world...

Hi Chris.

How has the Nighthawk been going? Reliable live streaming device? Issues?

Chris Harding March 20th, 2017 06:33 PM

Hi Miggy

Really awesome so far. Did a stream on the beach yesterday and it was rock solid. The router is dual band too and auto switches to the best signal. I have been using it so far without an antenna as it hasn't been needed. It is a lot bigger than my older 4GX modem but still quite managable and I usually clip it onto a lighting stand. The wifi range is amazing ..they claim 45 metres range so you have a nice range without having to run around with it in your pocket. So far I have been a easy 10 metres away and it was perfect

Charlie Steiner May 1st, 2017 01:17 PM

I've been using the Cradlepoint IBR1100 for 2 years, with Verizon 4g/5g. very reliable. many times we had house internet that tested with a high upload speed, but somehow the stream was strangled, and we switched to the wireless and were able to stream continuously for hours. the numbers claimed by netgear (1 GB) --- where can you get 4G with anything like that bandwidth?

Diego Salvetti May 1st, 2017 03:28 PM

Hello, thanks for this information about this new product.

I´m from Argentina and here the last year we just start using 4G LTE technology...so we have to wait a few years to test it.

BTW, "simple Thought production" is a great site. Nice work!!

Steven Digges May 1st, 2017 10:55 PM

Every scenario, location, provider, and gear has different results. Test, test, test! And you will still get surprises thrown at you, some good and some can be show stoppers....

Steve

Chris Harding May 2nd, 2017 02:13 AM

Hey Steve

All very true and worth taking note of. My new router mentioned above has one spec on wifi range which is given at 45 metres ..(that over 100' and then some) so on first use I tested the connection and had a nice 22mbps upload. Just a mere 10' from the router on wifi my stream at 2.3mbps failed miserably so don't believe what you read ... I cable connect everything now regardless of stated wifi range specs!

It's a pain to get to a venue an hour earlier BUT it makes time to test and have a trouble free session when it really matters