For those doing 4G streaming at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old February 17th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #1
Inner Circle

For those doing 4G streaming

More interesting gear from Netgear for use when streaming video on a 4G network ... This is claimed to be the fastest wifi modem in the world with theoretical speeds up to 1GBps ...it's never going to get anywhere bear that but it might be a nice unit to try..my new mobile plan with our provider includes one of these free so if it's a big improvement over the 4GX wifi units I'll let everyone know.

Gigabit LTE Mobile Media Streaming Travel Router | Nighthawk M1 - MR 1100 NETGEAR Mobile Router
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: For those doing 4G streaming

Looks like fun, hope to see something that is on more carriers. Looks like it is only out for Telstra at the moment. I use T mobile in the US and would like something like this.
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Josh

The Nighthawk is pretty fast! My ADSL is pathetic 3mbps dowbload and 0.5mbps upload!! On the 4GX I have 50mbps download and 20mbps upload from home and we are in a poor reception area (the router shows only 2 bar signal strength) so for any live stream it's a worthy device to have and I love the new extended 45 metre wifi range which is neat instead of having to put the modem/router in your pocket whenever you have to move around!!
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Nice,

My cell phone also provides a much faster upload of around 30mbit if I am in an area that has the latest radio tech which is most places I stream. I am fortunate to have 10mbit up at the house but wish it was faster. I am currently uploading a 8GB video from an event tonight. I just like the idea of having a stand alone device for this along with an Ethernet port to connect it to my switch instead of everything getting on my cell phone hot spot.
Old February 19th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hey Josh

We have pathetic connections here and people are not that happy even with the optic network as it offers theoretical speeds so a 25mbps download package when congested is often a fraction of that so I have no option to stick with the cell network which is a LOT better!!

BTW: Love your website ..well laid out and very professional and I see you also charge reasonable rates too.

Being a wedding videographer for 25 years I have migrated to live video totally now (got so tired of editing raw footage for days on end) so most of my jobs are weddings and I was surprised that brides were so enthusiastic about the concept but I would like to pick up some more fun events! I have two back to back weddings next weekend so I'll put the new router thru it's paces but I'm still keeping the slightly older 4GX wifi so I can run a bonded network.
Old February 20th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Haha, my day job is at a CDN and I deal with Telstra fairly regularly in Australia and I am happy they are not my personal ISP :-D Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy doing mainly doing live events and prefer when I am not trying to manipulate the footage later. Sporting events are awesome for this.
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Josh

Sadly they still have the best 4G network here ..my personal cell is with Vodaphone and areas where I can get a real good 4G signal with Telstra ..my phone turns into a brick!!

Which CDN are you working for?
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Highwinds CDN :-)
Old March 16th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
More interesting gear from Netgear for use when streaming video on a 4G network ... This is claimed to be the fastest wifi modem in the world...
Hi Chris.

How has the Nighthawk been going? Reliable live streaming device? Issues?
Miggy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Miggy

Really awesome so far. Did a stream on the beach yesterday and it was rock solid. The router is dual band too and auto switches to the best signal. I have been using it so far without an antenna as it hasn't been needed. It is a lot bigger than my older 4GX modem but still quite managable and I usually clip it onto a lighting stand. The wifi range is amazing ..they claim 45 metres range so you have a nice range without having to run around with it in your pocket. So far I have been a easy 10 metres away and it was perfect
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I've been using the Cradlepoint IBR1100 for 2 years, with Verizon 4g/5g. very reliable. many times we had house internet that tested with a high upload speed, but somehow the stream was strangled, and we switched to the wireless and were able to stream continuously for hours. the numbers claimed by netgear (1 GB) --- where can you get 4G with anything like that bandwidth?
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:28 PM   #12
New Boot

Hello, thanks for this information about this new product.

I´m from Argentina and here the last year we just start using 4G LTE technology...so we have to wait a few years to test it.

BTW, "simple Thought production" is a great site. Nice work!!
Diego Salvetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 10:55 PM   #13
Trustee

Every scenario, location, provider, and gear has different results. Test, test, test! And you will still get surprises thrown at you, some good and some can be show stoppers....

Steve
Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:13 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hey Steve

All very true and worth taking note of. My new router mentioned above has one spec on wifi range which is given at 45 metres ..(that over 100' and then some) so on first use I tested the connection and had a nice 22mbps upload. Just a mere 10' from the router on wifi my stream at 2.3mbps failed miserably so don't believe what you read ... I cable connect everything now regardless of stated wifi range specs!

It's a pain to get to a venue an hour earlier BUT it makes time to test and have a trouble free session when it really matters
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View