Redundant data links for live streaming - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old May 9th, 2017, 05:08 AM   #16
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Redundant data links for live streaming

I understand what you are saying here, but there isn't much that we can do in this instance. We only use 4G when there is no other connection type available at the facility.

The other context here is that 5Mbits/sec up is probably a very small percentage of what the tower can carry.

If we ever do have a 4G connection go down during a game, that really puts the onus on the facility install a proper internet connection in the first place. Ideally we shouldn't have to be using a 4G connection at all.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 10:20 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: Redundant data links for live streaming

There are a couple different solutions, but it depends on how much you want to spend. Most of the time my clients are willing to accept a small risk that something might go wrong with their stream in order to save a lot of money. I never look at 4G streaming as the first choice, but rather what I fall back on if there is literally no other option.

Before becoming a full time freelancer, I worked in TV news. This meant doing live shots. For the most part, I we were still using microwave transmission vehicles, but just as I was leaving the station was transition to doing more and more live shots over bonded cellular. Specifically, we were using this device- LU500

It supports multiple bonded cellular connections with different carriers, and through whatever dark magic it uses, it can seamlessly switch which carrier it is using on the fly. I never trusted using cellular infrastructure for our live shots as much as I did our own, dedicated, microwave transmission vehicles, but as far as I know the station has been using it for years now and hasn't had too many issues.

Another option is having your own dedicated satellite internet uplink. You would contract out to a satellite communications service who would send a truck to the location of your event and get a network all setup for you. You would just plug in with a LAN cable and you are connected.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View