DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Streaming A View (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/)
-   -   streaming to facebook live (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/534566-streaming-facebook-live.html)

Ed Kukla August 22nd, 2017 10:40 AM

streaming to facebook live

I'm not up on live streaming technology.

I would like to set up a facebook live stream for a client. Maximum half hour feed, likely less. He would be happy with using a smartphone but I am concerned about audio.

I would like to use my Panasonic GH4 with a wireless mic fed to the camera. What is the easiest/cheapest way to get my camera and audio fed into facebook live? We will be at an outdoor tradeshow. We will use the tradeshow provided wifi or my Verizon 4g phone. It seems an HDMI adapter can feed my android phone. Anyone doing this? If it gets complicated or expensive, we will nix it.

Thanks

Chris Harding August 22nd, 2017 08:08 PM

Re: streaming to facebook live

I would seriously nix it unless you are prepared to put in a decent amount of money which isn't practical for just a one-off job. You need at the very least, an encoder like the teradek which would accept HDMI with audio from your GH4 and all that would really do is enable you to send a streamable signal out to a router...forget about wifi the upload speed you need should be at LEAST 10 mbps as Facebook will stream up to 4mbps and you should have at least double the bitrate on hand.

You would be better off using an iPhone on a stand and use the phone to capture and stream to Facebook which really most people do but it's not a pro stream at all. Yes you CAN stream to FB on the cheap but it's not a pro solution!!

Craig Seeman August 22nd, 2017 10:24 PM

Do you have a GOOD laptop? A recent quad i7 with USB3?

GH4 to Magewell HDMI to USB3 dongle ($300) to laptop running OBS, laptop connected to your phone as a hot spot. LTE is always risky if not bonded because if everyone at the show is using Verizon LTE the local tower may be saturated.

Otherwise
GH4 to HDMI to Teradek Vidiu Pro ($1000) with USB modem attached.
or
GH4 to HDMI to Teradek Vidu ($700) wifi to Smartphone with Teradek Live Air app (starts at free, iOS only though).

Also heard this might work
GH4 HDMI to Magewell Dongle ($300) to OTG cable to Smartphone running Camera Fi Live app.

BTW don't even think of using their wifi, especially at a trade show.

Charlie Steiner August 22nd, 2017 10:35 PM

you can use your phone for video but get an adapter XLR-to-phone and get good audio into the phone. use a holder to keep the phone steady on a table or tripod.

Ed Kukla August 23rd, 2017 05:02 AM

How about this...

https://www.iat101-store.com/product...broadcast-card

Donald McPherson August 23rd, 2017 05:30 AM

Laptop, Elgato HD games capture box and your camera with a good mic is all you need. There is a free version of Xsplit Broadcaster 720p only which is what Facebook delivers anyway that is more than able to stream to Facebook or YouTube plus a few others. All you need to do is tether this to your phone and keep your fingers crossed there is enough bandwidth for the stream. But if you intend to move around stick with your phone and a good mic plugged in.

Craig Seeman August 23rd, 2017 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Kukla (Post 1935741)

Which is basically
"Also heard this might work
GH4 HDMI to Magewell Dongle ($300) to OTG cable to Smartphone running Camera Fi Live app."

Looks like a Magewell knockoff. Depends on whether you want to risk an "unknown" manufacturer.

Chris Harding August 23rd, 2017 06:53 AM

Careful with the Magewell "clones" Many have had major issues with them and sadly they look almost identical ..If you find a Magewell that's less than $300 then more than likely it's a cheaper clone!!

Chris Harding August 25th, 2017 07:07 AM

One other thing ! Just be very careful your audio stream does not have any copyright music! Even a popular copyright song playing from someone else's source in the background will cause the Facebook bot to ping your video!! That's why we never use it for weddings at all!!

Gabe Strong August 25th, 2017 09:15 AM

One thing I've found about music, is that Facebook will not
save your stream and keep it posted after the fact on
the Facebook page in question, if it detects copyright
music. But it will allow the live stream to happen.

Ed Kukla August 25th, 2017 04:43 PM

Great info so far...

Teradek says I need the Pro model for almost $1000

What am I getting with that vs a Magewell for $300?

Again, I must feed to an Android 7 device with mini USB to broadcast Facebook Live over Verizon 4G.

Chris Harding August 25th, 2017 06:40 PM

Hi Ed

The Magewell is just an HDMI>USB dongle so you still need a decent laptop and a switcher program to actually stream (OBS is free however) The teradek is an encoder so you can have the same HDMI input and send the encoded stream straight out to your router ... no laptop or software needed!

We actually use a Livestream Broadcaster Pro which is a Teradek dedicated to Livestream.com and is a lot cheaper and easier BUT it only streams to Livestream!! They also provide short term accounts rather than annual ones like we use.

The Broadcaster Pro is $569 at B&H so all you need is a camera and router and you can also set up event pages too! We will be doing a wedding today in 5 hours time

Ed Kukla August 26th, 2017 05:40 AM

My expectation is camera HDMI > dongle > cell phone with Facebook Live. FB Live is the only live streaming I plan on doing. Why the need for a router? I will use the cell phone 4G system to broadcast. I want to stay mobile so no wired solution.

Chris Harding August 26th, 2017 05:54 AM

OK no issue ..then you need a camera>encoder>mobile phone to FB Live ..simple as that ..still gonna set you back $1000 for the encoder!!

Why don't you just film on your phone and scrap the camera side ..that will cost you nothing and plenty of people do that!! If it's a professional stream that you are getting paid for then you need professional gear ..if you are doing it as a favour for your client just use your phone and add an iRig audio unit for an iPhone OR if you are android Samson have a new unit coming out ..that way you get decent audio.

If you are going the Smartphone route join the "Live Streaming Pros" Facebook group and you will get tons of help from them ...most use an iPhone and iRig and that's all!!

Ed Kukla August 26th, 2017 06:04 AM

Using the phone is the fallback position and likely the answer. I have already tested audio, I can feed mixer to phone via Sennheiser wireless with no problems. I wanted to use the HDSLR camera to have more capabilities for lenses and a better picture.

I'll build a bracket to mount my phone, extra battery and wireless receiver on my Zihyun Crane gimbal.