DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Streaming A View (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/)
-   -   LinkedIn joining the live streaming scene (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/streaming-view/536640-linkedin-joining-live-streaming-scene.html)

Andrew Smith March 17th, 2019 06:11 PM

LinkedIn joining the live streaming scene

Credit to The Streaming Guys in Australia for noticing it. Their blog post is here.

The "LinkedIn Live" product is currently in beta and by invitation only.

Here's a somewhat awful video about it. (If anything, it's a great demo of what sort of production cringes you can make despite having good gear and a budget.)

Andrew

Gary Huff March 18th, 2019 02:25 PM

Re: LinkedIn joining the live streaming scene

Yet another platform you can stream to for your mom and one other person to watch.

Boyd Ostroff March 18th, 2019 03:51 PM

Do you guys actually use LinkedIn? Is it effective for you?I thought it was fun at first, but it got old really fast and I rarely go there at all anymore. When I do, it alway seems to be the same 10 contacts endlessly promoting themselves. And the job suggestions it makes are laughable. So now, I guess those same 10 people will all be promoting themselves endlessly with live-streams. :-)

Gary Huff March 18th, 2019 04:03 PM

I keep my LinkedIn up-to-date because sometimes you get the option to link to your profile for certain things. But as far as a social media platform, I really couldn't care any less about it. I certainly have never gotten any work from it alone, though I feel like dental hygienists really used it for promotion because two years ago I had a rash of them friend me and say I should stop by the office they worked at.

Andrew Smith March 18th, 2019 11:03 PM

LinkedIn's best attribute is being able to guess who you haven't connected with for ages.

Darned if I would go there just to hang out, and even less to look at videos. I have no idea who is actually going to beneficially use this.

Andrew

David Barnett March 19th, 2019 06:57 AM

It could make sense, if they are gearing it towards corporate webcasting/webinar training software. Although, why not just align with an established name for it like GoToWebinar or something, maybe this was cheaper or websites see TV as their own future.

Again, if they can incorporate privacy, logins, registration type features I think businesses would like it, although, otoh why wouldn't they just use webinar software instead?

Anyway, they could know something about the long term future. I heard FB had intentions of going all video at some point,but maybe they mixed that up with Instagram switching to video not photos. Anyway, it'll sure be an interesting 10 years.

As for Linkedin, I like most people just see it as an online resume. Its worst feature is 'automatically' friended you with coworkers, because, for alot of users they keep an 'online resume' to get the heck out of their job. Also it sucks selling yourself & seeing others boast about 'Implemented new strategies to boost employee production' etc etc. It really could be much more successful, as I feel alot of people would like to bounce off FB, Linkedin just never quite got there. It's just missing something. Ok for job seaching, in a diamond in the rough. Indeeds better tho for FT type jobs.

Josh Bass March 20th, 2019 08:27 AM

This may be “duh” to all of you but I think Linkedin is really popular with “business” people...suits, offices, job titles that mean nothing to anyone in those industries. For artists (or whatever we are) not so much.

Phil Goetz March 22nd, 2019 07:45 PM

I've been thinking of linking out of connections where I have no idea who the person is. I think I might do that if I don't recognize any of out mutual friends. After that I need to look through the two boxes of business cards...

Andrew Smith March 22nd, 2019 08:21 PM

I'm loathe to even bother playing the game of connecting with people on LinkedIn.

Andrew

Craig Seeman May 1st, 2019 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Latest release of Telestream Wirecast 12.1 has the destination although to actually use it you have to get approval from Linkedin as it's still in beta on their end.

Chris Harding May 2nd, 2019 06:36 PM

To be honest if I need to get a message across it will be to prospective clients not business associates

We mainly do weddings and funerals so clients are unlikely to be on Linked-In and really just want a private site with a link they can send to friends and family.

I wonder how Linked-In are going to handle copyright music?? If you stream to free sites like Facebook or YouTube you get pinged if there is any commercial music in the stream... even if it comes from some guy walking down the road with a "getto blaster" on his shoulder. Both weddings and funerals have copyright music which brides use to walk down the aisle or funeral directors use in a slideshow.

David Barnett May 3rd, 2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1950339)
To be honest if I need to get a message across it will be to prospective clients not business associates

We mainly do weddings and funerals so clients are unlikely to be on Linked-In and really just want a private site with a link they can send to friends and family.

I wonder how Linked-In are going to handle copyright music?? If you stream to free sites like Facebook or YouTube you get pinged if there is any commercial music in the stream... even if it comes from some guy walking down the road with a "getto blaster" on his shoulder. Both weddings and funerals have copyright music which brides use to walk down the aisle or funeral directors use in a slideshow.

I think Linkedin is looking for for B2B, mostly webinars, training, and corporate speeches/updates. There's platforms already for it like GoToWebinar, INXPO, and On24 among others, so I think they wanted to get in the game.

To be honest, I think they just go into it, and are figuring the rest out as they go. Didn't they buy Lynda.com tho? That would lead me to thinking they'll use it for training & continuing education/credits etc.

Craig Seeman May 4th, 2019 09:45 PM

Given Linkedin is basically a social media site for professionals and they expect the live streams to be geared to such. It can reach potential business to business clients as well as those showing of their skills to head hunters.