New(?) Ebay Scam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 1st, 2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New(?) Ebay Scam

Just wanted to point out a scam I haven't seen before. I've been trying to sell a camera on ebay, and put it up with a buy it now. It sold quickly, which I was surprised about, because I put the BiN at a higher price than I expected people were willing to pay (but there was a chance).

The next day, it sells and I look at the used, who is now unregistered. I have three e-mails, one is from the "user" who is in Nigeria. Another is a forged paypal payment, which isn't showing up in my actual account.

Looks like this one is going back up.

I can copy/paste the e-mails, they're pretty amusing.
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I think I would have a hard time selling a camer or buying something so expensive on Ebay. I applaud your guts on Ebay.

I'm looking at getting a Harley and find some good deals on Ebay, but I might have to do a touchy feely trip if I get serious about Ebay.
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
I think I would have a hard time selling a camer or buying something so expensive on Ebay. I applaud your guts on Ebay.

It may just be my not having been bit badly by the Ebay hounds. I use paypal extensively, and while it has it's faults, it has kept me from losing money. Ratings really do help, people who get burned are pretty honest about it in other people's feedback, so if someone looks sketchy, they probably are. Basically if I'm selling and the money isn't in my paypal account, I won't send it out. If I'm buying, I have the record (through paypal) that I can point to in case I don't receive the object. Also, tracking numbers help with lost items.
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Scott, you can block countries when you list an item. This helps with the UK and Nigeria scams. Honestly, you should limit it to sales in the U.S. only, and you can add other features to your sale like they must have a certain number of feedbacks and so on before you list the item. They are some small safeguards and not fool proof in any way but every little bit helps.
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Scott,

I sort of got burned once with a buy it now offering. Fortunately, the scam buyer unregistered so I didn't have to pay the final selling price fee. I relisted and put a starting price at only 99 cents. There was frenzy during the final moments of the auction. I ended up selling it for more than my BIN price.

There are two ways to combat these fake buyers. One is to not use a BIN price and take your chances with the auction. Or second, you can require immediate payment for the BIN bidder. With that option, the item remains up for bid until a verified payment is made.

If you do a search of completed listings on ebay, you'll find several camera listings that are sold to these BIN scammers.

I don't really think they are so much scammers as they are jerks who screw up sales. They don't get anything for their efforts. That is unless you send them your item. They still can screw up your day though.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

i dont want to generalize, but when a buyer/seller is from nigeria, i double check. ever read up on 419 scams and scambaiting? unreal.
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Perry View Post
i dont want to generalize, but when a buyer/seller is from nigeria, i double check. ever read up on 419 scams and scambaiting? unreal.
Yeah, I know about them, but the scam goes something along the lines of:

"I'm from New York, I want to send this camera to my grandson who lives in Nigeria, here is his information:"

It's the most obvious tip off, coupled with the lack of payment and the no longer registered user with no feedback.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:27 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The other day I found out I had won the European Lottery. I'm still trying to find a row boat to charter.

The rule is; be very wary of people bearing gifts.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business