DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Alternatives to Royal Mail; postage in the UK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/104966-alternatives-royal-mail-postage-uk.html)

Jack Kelly October 4th, 2007 07:18 AM

Alternatives to Royal Mail; postage in the UK

Hi there,

I'm afraid this thread is only really relevant to UK folks - sorry everyone else!

So, the lovely Royal Mail are planning to strike LOTS for the foreseeable future. Effectively, the Royal Mail cannot be trusted to send business material until these strikes are over (which could be months).

What alternatives do freelance video makers have for sending DVDs to clients? I'm assuming there's nothing as convenient as the Royal Mail for sending a few DVDs a week?

Many thanks,
Jack

Dennis Stevens October 5th, 2007 09:31 AM

Leave it to an American to answer a UK-specific question. :)

I always thought companies like United Parcel Service and DHL operate in many countries. I'm pretty sure I've used UPS to send packages to the UK.

Can you use UPS, DHL around the UK?

Emre Safak October 5th, 2007 12:44 PM

Perhaps there are cheaper, local alternatives to the American couriers?

Jack Kelly October 6th, 2007 05:18 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks loads for the quick replies. I'm pretty sure that UPS operate in the UK - I'll look into it.

Thanks again,
Jack

Robert Wheeler October 16th, 2007 01:13 PM

Has anybody tried UK mail? They seem to have been pretty prominent in the media during the strikes.

Neil Rostance October 16th, 2007 03:47 PM

I'm a city-link man...very reasonable and if you open an account with them it's a lot cheaper too.

I send rough cuts through senduit.com though. 15 minute cuts never go more than 50mb and easy for web delivery when compressed using compressor. (on a mac though)

Hope that helps!

Jack Kelly October 17th, 2007 02:38 AM

Hi there,

Yeah, I try to use the Internet whenever I can too. I've setup a Drupal website for my clients to download and upload files. There have been a few teething problems but - by and large - my clients seem to now take for granted the fact that they can watch an edit of mine within an hour of me finishing it rather than 1 to 2 days later. Most corporate clients seem to have frighteningly fast Internet connections now-a-days so they can download massive files very quickly. Some clients need to have their hands held a little bit but it's very easy once they get the hang of it.

I recently had to send 500 DVDs so I used UPS for the first time. The cost was - as far as I could tell - very reasonable. They collected from my address and they provided a web-tracking service. The man who collected the boxes from my address was friendly and efficient.

I tried to get a quote from City Link because I heard they were the best value but I didn't get a reply.

Even once the Royal Mail stop striking, I think I'll only use RM for sending non-urgent, small deliveries. For large deliveries, I'll use UPS and for everything else I'll use the web (including all paperwork).

Thanks,
Jack