average pay rate for indy doc crew? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Major Player

average pay rate for indy doc crew?

I know id varies widely from market to market, but when compiling a project budget for an indy documentary, what are some reasonable figures to include for daily rates for director, camera op, sound op, and producer?

Is a flat fee an option for the director and/or producer?
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Major Player

i'm assuming you're looking at a director who is not in the guild.
If that's the case it's certainly reasonable to offer a flat rate, but I would be a little leary myself. With a day rate the person knows how much to expect and knows they are expected to work while on the clock.

FLat rates can get sketchy when the payee decides they put their fair share of work in for what they were getting paid.

With producers, I think it's not uncommon for them to work on a flat percentage of the budget.

For misc crew anything from $100/day for mildly experienced on up from there. And you can normally negotiate lower day rates if you promise multiple days. Many people offer 5 days at a 4 day rate or something like that.
I worked on a no-budget feature a few years back and we had several dp's and people with full grip trucks quoting us $75-100 a day. Yes, it's a crazy price, but if you're making payments on a grip truck that's just sitting out in your driveway...
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

the Doc's i know pay .... 1200-1500 for cameraperson ( including camera - for over time $$ is usually split - camera/labor ) , sound 450 with basic equipment- recorder ,boom mic , hard wire lav - wireless are added $ .. gaffers 450 -equipment extra .... all $$ based on 10hr days ...
Producers are usually on monthly salary flat rate for 6-18 months ( the ones i know get approx 1100-1500 week)
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business