DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Business Card Design (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/106277-business-card-design.html)

Dale Stoltzfus October 23rd, 2007 10:56 AM

Business Card Design

2 Attachment(s)
Hello!

I've finally found time to throw together a business card for my business and I'm looking for opinions.

First, what do you think of the design, overall?

Second, should I have the sword in the background (I've attached two versions with and without to compare)? I just can't decide if it is distracting or not.

Thanks!

Mark Bournes October 23rd, 2007 11:08 AM

I ilke it better without the sword

Steven Davis October 23rd, 2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Bournes (Post 763333)
I ilke it better without the sword

Me too........... Although my business card is a little busy. So I guess I have little room to talk.

Reid Bailey October 23rd, 2007 01:08 PM

Without the sword.

With the sword you're not sure where to look and some of the text is difficult to read.

Dale Stoltzfus October 23rd, 2007 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok - I was thinking that too, but I liked the sword so well I was hoping it was just me... Oh well - here is another version. I've changed the text to black as well to help it stand out from the BG.

Daniel Ross October 23rd, 2007 01:26 PM

I don't hate the sword, but I'd suggest making it more like a watermark, or at least much lower opacity.

The film strip is now distracting to me. (background, not the horizontal strip)

Richard Alvarez October 23rd, 2007 01:28 PM

Your Name and the phone number should be larger/BOLD. I've got old eyes, and when I look at a business card, I want to see the NAME and the CONTACT jump out at me.

And losing the sword was the right choice. (Hey, I made my LIVING with a sword, so I'm partial to them too... but it was distracting/clutter)

Dale Stoltzfus October 23rd, 2007 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Ross (Post 763415)
The film strip is now distracting to me. (background, not the horizontal strip)

Really? Because it doesn't seem at all distracting to me. Anyway, I made a minor change to it, so it should be at least a BIT better now. I can't really take down the opacity any further or the lighter part of the film strip would disappear.

EDIT: I just realized that, since I'm not working on a calibrated monitor right now, the film BG could be a lot more visible than I think it is. I've added a second version with the BG opacity reduced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Your Name and the phone number should be larger/BOLD. I've got old eyes, and when I look at a business card, I want to see the NAME and the CONTACT jump out at me.

Suggestion dually taken - why didn't I think of that? ;)

Mark Bournes October 24th, 2007 06:57 AM

I still think it's too busy with the film strip. Remember it's a business card, you want things easy to read.

Richard Alvarez October 24th, 2007 07:10 AM

Dale,

I don't know how old your are, but I'm in my fifties. I have 20-14 vision at a distance, but like most people my age, I carry around 'reading classes' for anything that's within an arms length. The easier you make it for me to find your name, and number (or email, if that's your primary contact) the more likely I am to actually USE that business card.

In other words, I'd make your name and contact BIGGER as well as bolder. Seriously, take it from a baby boomer, this is important.

Dale Stoltzfus October 24th, 2007 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for you kind critique!

I realized last night that I hadn't included my email, and the design as it was didn't have room to add it without looking crowded. To remedy, I redesigned. This one isn't as busy and features larger text across the board (except for the logo).

I'm still not sure about the text color - what I would really like to do is make all the text black except for the company description, which would be light-colored. However, with the varying light and darkish background, I haven't figured out a way to make that feasible. Instead, I've made the description black and the rest brown, which kind of works. I'll have to experiment some more.

Also keep in mind that small text is easier to read in print than it is on a computer screen.

Richard Alvarez October 24th, 2007 10:07 AM

This is a much better design. Less cluttered, the tip of the sword points down towards your name and the contact info, background is not as distracting. You're almost there.

Mark Bournes October 24th, 2007 10:22 AM

Much better on the latest design, I like it, easy to read and still creative.

Steven Davis October 24th, 2007 10:51 AM

Yeah, much better, might increase the critical contact font a little, but I like it, the gradient on the film is really subtle and nice.

Paul Tauger October 24th, 2007 11:00 AM

I also like it better without the background sword. I do like the way you dot your Is and cross your Ts. ;)