DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Can i use 'Canon' logo on my business card img? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/108074-can-i-use-canon-logo-my-business-card-img.html)

Nathan Quattrini November 15th, 2007 07:12 PM

Can i use 'Canon' logo on my business card img?

Couldn`t fit the whole scenario in the topic.... I am designing my business card and want to put an image of the Canon A1 on it. My question is....should I photoshop out the "Canon" written on the front and just more highlight the "HDV" on the out folded screen?

Benjamin Hill November 15th, 2007 08:51 PM

The Canon and HDV logos are both protected trademarks, FYI. Not saying Sony or Canon would go after you for some business cards, but rules are rules.

Nathan Quattrini November 15th, 2007 08:52 PM

i wasn`t aware HDV was a logo....hmm...think the camera has presence enough to not need the name? I just want to have the camera i use on the card

Edward Carlson November 15th, 2007 09:56 PM

I know I would notice, but most people won't. They would only notice if: it was obvious it was erased, or if they knew that camera and where the logos were placed. If you want to be safe, I'd Photoshop them out, but make it look good.

Chris Hurd November 15th, 2007 10:54 PM

On a business card... is the logo even big enough to see, considering the image of the camcorder is so tiny?

Nathan Quattrini November 16th, 2007 08:36 AM

yea it`d still be visible but i decided to photoshop it for safety reasons. I figure anyone who knows cameras will know what it is and anyone who doesn`t will likely have the impression that its a good camera by visual alone. Thanks guys

Nick Royer December 9th, 2007 11:25 PM

Well if you purchased and own the camera and take your own picture of it I don't think you would have a problem but I don't really know for sure.

Martin Pauly December 10th, 2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Royer (Post 789957)
Well if you purchased and own the camera and take your own picture of it I don't think you would have a problem but I don't really know for sure.

So using that same logic, if I buy a coke can and take my own picture of it, I can use the Coca-Cola logo in my production? Or purchase a music CD, record the music playing from my CD player using my own recording gear, and then use the music in my video? I think not.

Maybe I am missing your point.

- Martin

Matthew Craggs December 10th, 2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pauly (Post 790203)
So using that same logic, if I buy a coke can and take my own picture of it, I can use the Coca-Cola logo in my production?

But what if you take a picture of the can and take the Coca-Cola logo out by painting over it? That is what the original poster needed the camera for, no? Not for the Coke logo, but the can.

John Miller December 10th, 2007 12:45 PM

Canon may have a claim to the design of the camcorder itself (e.g., a design patent)

Why not just ask them?

Steve Wolla December 16th, 2007 09:25 AM

Make a sample and submit it to Canon

I'd just call Canon and ask the question of them. Find out who to contact in their business office and email them.

Send an example of what you want to do and how the design will look, or better yet make a sample and submit that. When they see it, they will likely see it as a positive way of promoting the Canon brand.
Follow up with a call, but start by getting such correspondence in writing. Keep a log of any calls, just to be safe.

Might even be that since using their logo on your card is a good form of promoting their product, they may even give you a disc with Canon logo and or clip art on it, with perhaps a few restrictions.
My guess is that they'd say OK.

If you do decide to contact Canon, please let us know how it went, I too have thought about doing same.

Paul Tauger December 16th, 2007 11:22 AM

This is one of those instances in which I really wish I could provide specific legal advice to posters. Because I can't, I'll say this instead to the original OP: please consult an attorney. A number of suggestions re: the law and courses of action that have been made in this thread are simply wrong.

Jeff Emery December 16th, 2007 02:16 PM

Seems kind of simple to me. You don't need a laywer (at least not now). Just go to http://www.canon.com/terms/index.html#candt and read it. You'll see that it clearly states that in order to use a canon logo, a contract is necessary.

Now if you choose to blow off that requirement and canon decides to take action, then you may need a lawyer to help get your butt out of a sling.

Why bother putting any camera or logo, other than your own, on a business card? Do you think potential clients are so concerned with your equipment that they must know that information ahead of talking with you?

BTW, it took all of one click of a mouse to find this out. I went to canon.com the clicked on "Copyright (c) 2007 Canon Inc" in the bottom left of the screen.

Jeff

Paul Tauger December 16th, 2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Emery (Post 793634)
Seems kind of simple to me. You don't need a laywer (at least not now). Just go to http://www.canon.com/terms/index.html#candt and read it. You'll see that it clearly states that in order to use a canon logo, a contract is necessary.

I'm sure it seems simple to you. It is not. Regardless of what Canon may say, there are other concerns that apply.

Jeff Emery December 16th, 2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Tauger (Post 793648)
I'm sure it seems simple to you. It is not. Regardless of what Canon may say, there are other concerns that apply.

So just what are those concerns?

Jeff